PIKACYU*MAKOTO – OM SWEET HOME: WE ARE SHINING STARS OF THE DARKSIDE
- PIKACYU*MAKOTO is an alliance between two leading lights of underground Japanese psych/pop, the ever busy Kawabata Makoto, of the legendary Acid Mothers Temple, and Afrirampo’s Pikacyu (although I think the latter duo have now split).
- The pair have not only gigged together with their respective bands but also recorded together, the two bands temporarily became one unit in 2005 as Acid Mothers Afrirampo (releasing an album of the same name which I must track down – I have a live recording from Chicago which is barking mad).
- Basically its the core of Pikacyu’s manic drums and multi-layered vocals, and Makoto’s insanely varied guitar conjurings and guttural invocations.
- The promo blurb suggests that the album is unlike anything either has produced before, I’d beg to differ in respect of Makoto as it is full of the unique sounds that tend to flow from AMT albums…it kicks off sounding like a mutant version of La Novia for example…..and the half remembered guitar riffs are there in abundance. The album is constructed of short experimental pieces interweaved with longer psyche rock workouts….if I have one concern it is that the vocals are perhaps a little too high in the mix tending to drown out some excellent drum work and Makoto’s trademark repeated riffs. The shorter pieces are perhaps the most interesting with some clear attempts to create ambient soundscapes which hommage western rock culture but also slip in Eastern influences.
- Essentially as mad as Mr. Fruity the dancing plectrum but a good listen, genuinely humorous in parts, and 10,000% better than most of the tedious anodyne rubbish we were fed from Glasto this year.
- OM Sweet Home will be released in July in a limited run of 1000 copies, packaged in a 350gm card gatefold sleeve.