On this show…..
- Ikebe Shakedown – Tame the Beats – Ikebe Shakedown : a Brooklyn-based band that plays with elements of cinematic soul, Afro-funk, deep disco, and boogaloo. From the current album.
- Kenny Drew – Lion’s Den – Undercurrent – released in 1960 this is the seventh recording with Drew as a leader and is significant for many reasons, not the least of which that it is one of the finest Blue Note hard bop statements. Teamed with trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley fresh bassist Sam Jones and drummer Louis Hayes this is a classic album.
- Dr. Tequila and the Mission “D” Mon – Cruzin’ the Square – Dr. Tequila : another one from the Doctor….and there are more albums on the way from Sacramento!
- Don Rendell and Ian Carr – Latin Blues – Shades of Blue : From the golden age of British jazz in the mid 1960s. Some exquisite playing from Ian Carr on flugelhorn and trumpet, coupled with Don Rendell’s robust tenor and soprano excursions,and some spot on writing and arranging. This is all beautifully balanced, with the lyrical playing of pianist Michael Garrick, the searching bass of Dave Green, and the ever changing, exciting drummer Trevor Tomkins.
- Emily Saunders – O Sonho – Cotton Skies : plays Matt and Phreds in Manchester this Friday – another track from her great album.
- George Benson – White Rabbit – White Rabbit : George takes on Grace Slick’s classic tune and moves it somewhere else entirely.
- Brian Auger & The Trinity featuring Julie Driscoll – This Wheel’s On Fire – Open : a great mix of r n b, psychedelia and jazz.
- Clifford Jordan – Hot Water – Spellbound : Jordan was sponsored by Cannonball Adderley on this album for the Riverside lable, which was subsequently reissued on CD under the OJC imprint. At this point in time, Jordan did not quite have the approach he developed with Charles Mingus, but he was a powerful hard bop stylist. Joining him on this album pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Spanky DeBrest, and drummer Albert “Tootie” Heath
- Emily Saunders – Zachary – Cotton Skies
- Modern Jazz Quartet – Bluesology – Fontessa : classic MJQ from 1956.
- The Dreamers – Ezriel – Ipos: Book of Angels Volume 14 : from Masada book 2 – another eclectic reworking of Zorn tunes by Cyro Baptista: Percussion, Joey Baron: Drums, Trevor Dunn: Bass, Marc Ribot: Guitar, Jamie Saft: Keyboards and Kenny Wollesen: Vibraphone.
To listen to the show click on the link below