A mixed bag of tunes on this show – pretty eclectic actually – here we go again:
- Steamkings – L1 125 – Sleepy Music Compilation – impressive band from the excellent Sleepy Music label from Brighton
- Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes – Hearts of Stone -Hearts of Stone – whilst there are no horns (which has horns) on this the preceding track made me think of Southside and drag out this track from the archives.
- Richie Barron – Tahoe Boogie – Rather Have The Green Than The Blues – otherwise known as Dr Tequila, from one of Richie’s earlier albums which he kindly shipped over some copies of from the States last week. This definately has horns!!
- Thin White Rope – Disney Girl – Exploring the Axis – an excellent track from the first album from this great band which split in 1992. Like Steely Dan they take their name from a Bill Burroughs literary reference.
- Blue Orchids – Disney Boys – The Flood Single – seemed somewhat sensible to follow the preceding tune with this one….
- Half Man Half Biscuit – Arthurs Farm – ACD – having just ordered the new album, which is out on 26th September (90 Bisodol(Crimond)) , I had a compulsion to listen to this one. It’s Tommy Walsh’s Eco House by the way not Tommy Boyd as I say on the show, that’s a totally different cultural reference.
- Sugar – If I can’t change your mind – Besides – “Copper Blue” remains to this day one of my favourite albums – this acoustic version of a tune from the album featured on a CD Single and then turned up on the Besides compilation album.
- Wild Swans – Chloroform – The Coldest Winter for A Hundred Years – another glorious track from one the albums of the year for me.
- Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Cinnamon Girl – Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere – a classic album, a classic band and a classic tune. Nuff said.
- Late Night Shopping – Late Night Shopping – Sleepy Music Compilation – have been playing this band for the last few weeks – very impressed with their off kilter look at the universe.
- Heinous Tarts – Real Life Failer – Compilation CD provided by Chris Goodhead – a five piece from York who are reforming for a one off gig at Fibbers on 30th September – all for charity – sign up with them on Facebook for lots more information.
- Ana Ege – Driving with no hands – Bad Blood – from the stunning new Steve Earle produced album – if you have not heard Ana before do yourself a favour and grab this album.
- The Explorers Collective – Please Please Yourself – Single – As it says on the press release “Incendiary debut single “The Factory” gained great radio support including:The British Breakfast in Richmond Virginia USA, Spark FM 6-6 playlist & interview, Salford City Radio (that would be me!) BBC Introducing Three Counties play and Interview, BBC Introducing Cambridge Interview and Live Session. Four permanent members The Explorer, Frazer Davidson, Mookherjee and Mr P. Paganotto + special guest poets, animators, rappers and musicians, make it their mission to combine killer hooks & wry observational wit with cutting-edge animation and leftfield imagination.” Marvellous stuff!
- Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. – Pink Lady Lemonade Part 04 – Pink Lady Lemonade You’re From Inner Space – i’ve been wanting to play something by these extremely hirsute purveyors of Japanese psychedelia for some time and what better way to start than their probably most recorded epic and this is from their most recent release as The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. – being the fourth part of a set of versions of the tune on the CD/Vinyl release.
To listen to the show, click on the link below