Now then the trouble with starting a diary like this is that the day you do it you get struck down with a virus and don’t really feel like doing much other than lying in bed and watching old episodes of Stargate SG-1 (one of those Guilty Pleasure things that Stephen Doyle likes broadcasting about). However a steaming cup of Lemsip and a deep breath and here we go again…….
- Pleased as punch to see SCR get included by FMS as the station that does the best work for unsigned bands in its Independent Top Ten of 2011. Thanks Paul.
- Interested to see Drowned in Sounds top nine Mancunia of 2011 – i’ve played three of them (Gnod, Air Cav and FTKOSQ) but had not heard of any of the others which demonstrates to some degree the vast amount of music out there – not enough hours in the day.
- Half way through reading an advance copy of Stephen Dobson’s excellent biography of Ian “Moet” Moss of Hamsters, Sicknurse and Kill Pretty fame. A fascinating read – will be writing a review once I have got rid of these germs.
- Just trying to finalise the line-up for what we hope will be the first of a series of SCR nights at the Kings Arms featuring local independent artists – thanks to Roland via Paul and Zena for the support in getting this going. Watch this space for details.
- A little embarrassed by the article on myself by a Mr Coupe (a teacher in Oldham allegedly) on the ‘Zeen webpages. Such things are very nice but do tend to divert one from the job in hand.
- Another new track in from the excellent “Long Hat Pins” who I will be featuring regularly on the Tuesday night show in this new year of ours.
- Three new tracks in from Ruby Tuesday – another guitar/drums duo (are bass players a dying breed I ask myself ?- not if Josh Dutton/Lord Sophie are anything to go by – I quickly respond). A great dirty blues sound with some serious rock hooks. Expect some airplay in due course.
- Local band Ninetails can be voted for in one of those MTV new band of 2012 thingies – being technically inept in this etherweb nonsense I am struggling to find out how to vote for them mind you – which I would like to do. Ahah – the lads have responded quickly to my plea to them on Frazzlebuch – vote here and vote often!
- Richard Youngs album “Amaranthine” is released on vinyl on the 16th January 2012. You can stream 2 tracks from the LP here and pre-order it here – there are only 500 copies.
- Rachmaninov got the number one spot in the Classic FM chart of charts – there you go.
Right – that’s enough for today – back to Major Samantha Carter and the other three.