The featured album this time around is the brand new release from Melt Yourself Down. In between classic jazz from Lee Konitz, Charlie Haden, Keith Jarrett, and Gil Evans. Melt Yourself Down as best described as a jazz/new music supergroup as the band features Pete Wareham (Acoustic Ladyland, Polar Bear), Shabaka Hutchings (Sons Of Kemet, Heliocentrics), Tom Skinner (Hello Skinny, Sons Of Kemet, Mulatu Astatke), Ruth Goller (Acoustic Ladyland), Kushal Gaya (Zun Zun Egui) and Satin Singh (Fela!, Transglobal Underground). Their excellent album is available via Bandcamp.
Also the podcast includes a musical tribute to George Duke who sadly passed away this week with two pieces from his own releases, and a piece from his work with Frank Zappa – which isn’t strictly jazz but I felt demonstrated George’s valuable contribution to all forms of music. The music played:
- Melt Yourself Down – Fix My Life
- Lee Konitz – All of Me
- Keith Jarrett – Mortgage On My Soul
- Charlie Haden and Quartet West – The Red Wind
- Melt Yourself Down – Tuna
- George Duke – Sister Serene
- Gil Evans Orchestra – Stratusphunk
- George Duke – Froop De Loop
- Melt Yourself Down – Free Walk
- Gil Evans Orchestra – Mixed
- Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention – Montana
- Melt Yourself Down – Camel
- Keith Jarrett – Dedicated To You
The podcast can be streamed from Mixcloud
- Melt Yourself Down
- In Angel City
- as 1.
- I Love The Blues, She Heard My Cry
- Out of the Cool
- The Aura Will Prevail
- as 1.
- Into the Hot
- Over-nite Sensation
- as 1.
- Somewhere Before