This week the main focus is the brand new album from Tim Berne’s Snakeoil band which is just released on ECM…..also new material from Magnus Ostrom and Kenny Wheeler plus a couple of cuts from the archives.
- Tim Berne’ Snakeoil – Son Of Not So Sure
- Magnus Ostrom – The Moon (And The Air It Moves)
- John Handy – Spanish Lady
- Tim Berne’s Snakeoil- Psalm
- Kenny Wheeler – Four, Five, Six
- Tim Berne’s Snakeoil – Socket
- Birdsongs of the Mesozoic – Tyronglaea II
As usual the podcast can be streamed at http://www.mixcloud.com/BobonSCR/world-of-jazz-podcast-48/
- Shadow Man (2013) – The second release from this line up with Berne on alto saxophone, Oscar Noriega on clarinets, Matt Mitchell on piano, and Ches Smith on assorted drums, gongs etc
- Searching for Jupiter (2013) – the second album for the former EST drummer.
- Live at Monterey (1996) – John Handy’s performance at the 1965 Monterey Jazz Festival was a sensation and arguably the high point of his career. The altoist, using a quintet that included violinist Michael White, guitarist Jerry Hahn, bassist Don Thompson, and drummer Terry Clarke, is in fine form.
- as 1
- Six for Six (2013) – a who’s who of UK jazz on this one with contributions from Stan Sulzmann, Bobby Wellins, John Taylor, Chris Laurence and Martin France all joining Kenny for a great set of tunes.
- as 1
- Pyroclastics (1991) – the bands fifth album saw them returning to the jazz rock end of their earlier work.