I usually do podcasts associated with the “best of the year” but frankly I have not got the time this year, and in any event most of the material can be accessed from the existing mixcloud shows and are best heard in the context of what was going on at the time of broadcast. This years Christmas podcasts will feature the ongoing selection of excellent new music which has been sent to me.
It’s been a strange year, I started off doing one thing and ended up doing another – the latter of which has been far more rewarding. There have been a few disappointments along the way but these have been far outweighed by the good bits. The highpoint has been working with Moet on the German Shepherd project which whilst being artistically rewarding has proved frustrating in respect of getting the music out the masses. We have plans for the new year which should deal with that.
These little exercises in reviewing the year also help my increasingly failing memory which I am not surprised is suffering given the vast amount of music that has reached me.
And I have to thank the people in the various promo companies and the individual artists and bands who furnish me with a wealth of new material each week.
A special thanks to all of the people who contributed to the Salford Streets Project which raised much needed money to help the homeless in Salford.
So here is my top 50 personal selection for 2014 – it is a mixture of albums, ep’s, singles and unreleased material…..
- West Coast Sick Line – The Road To Billinge Hill
- Ought – More Than Any Other Day
- Dave Graney – Fearful Wiggings
- Danny Short – Into Embers
- Dope Body – Lifer
- Moff Skellington – Marine Sugars (locally glimpsed)
- Rose Niland – From Now
- Moff Skellingon – Villages of Bicycle Rain
- Monster Island – The House of Lancaster
- Factory Acts – Thirst
- The Hamsters – Bloody Hell!
- The Prick Jaggers – The Golden Ass
- Modal Roberts – Motion Blur
- Cryin’ Queerwolf – The Main Drag
- The Parish Church Fire – Demo
- Flies On You – Can You Smell That Burning Noise?
- Flies On You – Katie Hopkins In Human Form
- The Stepbrothers – Switched At Birth
- Luis Drayton – Breeder Queen
- Johann Kloos – Carousel
- The Shaker Hymn – Rascals Antique
- Staggs – When Eartha Kitt Met Pete Tong
- KP2 – A Cabinet of Curiosities
- Trojan Horse – World Turned Upside Down
- Half Man Half Biscuit – Urge for Offal
- Johann Kloos – The Light Album
- Lachenalia – Acts and Monuments
- Dead Sea Apes – High Evolutionary
- Peter Hammill – ….all that might have been
- Johann Kloos – Dragonfly
- Monkeys In Love – Circle of Jerks
- Las Lanas – The Blind Year
- Johann Kloos – Man On Fire
- Modal Roberts – Disco Pharm
- Carla Bozulich – Boy
- Earth – Primitive and Deadly
- El Drugstore – Plague Ship
- Taser Puppets – Fuzzy Felt
- Dave Graney – In Hell
- Moff Skellington – Villages of Bicycle Rain
- JD Meatyard – Northern Songs
- Peter Hammill/Gary Lucas – Other World
- Vic Godard – 30 Odd Years
- The Junta – Art of Glass
- Positronik – Better Late Than Never
- Yob – Clearing The Path To Ascend
- Dead Sea Apes – Thermionic Emissions Vol 2
- Smilex – La Petite Mort
- Blank Realm – Grassed In
- USA Out Of Vietnam – Crashing Diseases and Incurable Aeroplanes
As is my way I am already looking forward to 2015 already where some fantastic new things are already in the pipeline including new releases from Moff Skellington, Rose Niland, Monkeys In Love, and many more ….. exciting times lay ahead.
I’ll also trail news of a fantastic new artist called Alana Bondi who we will releasing material with in the new year. Watch out for her she is rather special.
In terms of gigs it has been a busy old year and I won’t whitter on as I have written about the best of them elsewhere on this blog – the highlights for me were Trojan Horse at the Lower Kersal Social Club and the weekend we did with German Shepherd artists and friends in early December. It is my great disappointed that I missed the gigs with West Coast Sick Line this year – hopefully that will be remedied in the New Year.
With 176 podcasts to date , and around seven more to come before the end of the year there is a lot of material to look back on and you can find all of it here.
Mixcloud followers to the podcast have risen from 1610 this time last year to 3084 at the time of writing which I am both surprised and honoured about. The biggest success is still the jazz show which is extremely gratifying. Thanks for all your support.
So that’s your lot for 2014 – see you in 2015!