A slight hiatus due to busy times at German Shepherd Records means things have slipped slightly so here is a rather hefty chunky catch-up of things incoming in the last week. After a quiet turn of the year things are starting to motor on the news and release front. This is part one of two FT’s for this week due to the vast amount of new tuneage.
Brazilian psychedelic rocker Headless Buddha releases a new single on 5th February – have a listen….I think it’s rather good…it’s from their forthcoming second album. The band is the work of Rio De Janiero based multi-instrumentalist Mauro Sanches.
Calgary, Alberta-based band, Wake, release their third full-length album, “Sowing The Seeds Of A Worthless Tomorrow”, on 26th February via an international alliance of independent labels. Putatively a grindcore outfit this new release strays into a variety of differing sub-genres including black metal, crust, d-beat, noise, sludge, and post-hardcore. Short and memorable the band packs eight tracks into just over eighteen minutes of music. Not for the faint-hearted, very intense and cathartic say I.
Chicago’s post-metal trio, Snow Burial , self-release their debut full-length, “Victory In Ruin” on 1st February. It mixes up sludge, thrash, shoegaze and math rock coming across a little like the bastard offspring of Fucked Up, “Red” era King Crimson and The Melvins. With former members of Hoss, Canyon, Doctor This Virus Is Silence the band self-financed and released two EPs entitled Oxblood Siren and Oxblood Tides in 2014. They make a very impressive noise for a three piece and must have one of the dirtiest bass sounds in the known cosmos. The album kicks a lot of butt and manages to balance the melodic, the progressive and the downright noisy into an impressive set. Recommended!
“Dominion Of Misery” is the forthcoming new album from Oregon-based technical death metal band , Omnihility. It’s the follow-up to their 2014 release “Deathscapes Of The Subconscious”. The opening “Intro” is a progressive cinematic piece which lulls the listener into a false sense of calm before the carnage that follows. Driven by light speed d-beats, and riffs that defy the anatomy of the human hand this is a challenging listen. Omnihility is defined as “the absolute belief in nothingness” which seems to be a contradiction given the density of the sound on the album. With ten tracks across forty one minutes this is one that requires stamina. Fascinating musicianship and a blunt force trauma soundscape with guitar playing that makes Steve Vai sound like a tortoise.
It feels like it’s back to the 80s for the new single from Emporium, released February 5th 2016 on Whimsical Records. It’s from the album ‘The Electric Emporium’, out the same day.
Geist have just released a new split 7″.
…and a new one from the wonderfully driven Inherit The Stars from Sheffield
Diminished Men – featuring Steve Schmitt on guitars, drummer Dave Abramson (member of Master Musicians of Bukkake) , and Simon Henneman on Bass VI – will be releasing a new album on February 26th. Titled “Vision In Crime”, the three piece’s latest recording is a feature length journey through jazz and soundtrack territories. Their are similarities to the work of Pachora, the Tiny Bell Trio and John Zorn’s work. With guest appearances from saxophonists Skerik (Critters Buggin, Garage-A-Trois, Wayne Horvitz) and Neil Welch (Bad Luck, King Tears Bat Trip) this is a remarkably fine album and comes with a big recommendation from this listener.
SOME TOUR NEWS
- The legendary Tad Doyle is bringing his new trio Brothers of the Sonic Cloth over on a first european tour, sadly he is only playing one UK date – Black Heart in London on 2nd April.
- Legendary Australian troubadour Dave Graney is over for the Stewart Lee curated ATP at Prestatyn in April – which has a stunning line-up – and I hope to have some news about further dates from Dave and the band, which will be Clare Moore, Stu Thomas and ex Josef K/Orange Juice man Malcolm Ross as a special guest for the tour.
- 30th January 2016 – Monkeys In Love play Jefffest 3 at the Bank Top Tavern in Oldham 4pm onwards – free entry
- 6th February 2016 – Monkeys In Love play The Sun Inn, Stockton on Tees
- 8th February 2016 – The Sideshow – CB2 Basement (Acoustic) – Cambridge, Plus support from Simon West
- 16th February 2016 – The Sideshow in session on Dave Hammonds Smelly Flowerpot Show on Cambridge 105
- 19th February 2016 – Kit B play Dulcimer, Chorlton, Manchester with Factory Acts and Boxhead & Gloves
- 28th February 2016 – The Sideshow play The Fleece – Bristol, All day event, more details to follow.
- 12th March 2016 – JD Meatyard plays Holmfirth Picturedrome with Half Man Half Biscuit
- 18th March 2016 – Taser Puppets, Monkeys In Love and Expelaires play Gullivers. Manchester
- 18th March 2016 – Moff Skellington is doing a turn at Shangri-La, Prestwich (The Carlton Club)
- 24th March 2016 – The Sideshow play Mama Liz’s Voodoo Rooms – Stamford, More details to follow.
- April 8th – The Sideshow play The Portland Arms – Cambridge, Gavin Chappell-Bates album launch, support also from Horse Party. Neil and Graeme from Bouquet of Dead Crows will be part of Gavin’s backing band on the evening.
- May 5th – The Sideshow play The Portland Arms – Cambridge, More details to follow.