I have a feeling it is going to be a busy year music wise – literally deluged with stuff today…..which included….
- Arctic Monkeys release ‘Black Treacle’, the new single from their ‘Suck It And See’ album on Monday the 23rd of January. ‘Black Treacle’ will be available on 7” (RUG449) and digitally (RUG449D). It’s OK but I can’t get excited about them these days – they seem to have gone a bit safe.
- Finally got hold of the promo of the new Earth album “Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II” which is out on 13th February. It moves seamlessly on from Part 1 offering a totally different aspect to the original Earth sound – slow, meditative and built around Dylan Carlson’s minimal guitar work, this is not going to be for the mosh pit brigade. A lot more improvisation on this one and rather fine it is too.
- The new Disappears album “Pre Language” is out on March 1st. They now have Steve Shelley (he of Sonic Youth as was) on the drums. It’s rather exceptional in a post punky guitar fixated sort of way. In fact i’d say I was rather besotted by it.
- The Umbilical Chords – arrived “Par Avion” from Paris or thereabouts…. interesting mix of post punk bass riffing and near spoken word delivery – some quite pungent lyricism – they will be supporting Gabrielle’s Wish at a Manchester date in March.
- The Arcadian Kicks – new single “I wanna take you home” which has been produced by Mike Chapman (of Blondie fame) – powerful vocals from this Birmingham group – touring in Jan/Feb – interesting remix coupled with the single which is refreshingly nowt like the lead track.
- Spent quite a while today catching up on the Walkabouts…..excellent band……particularly fond of the “Ended Up A Stranger” album from 2001.
- Also polished off the poster for the giggage on 26th January – seems to be going quite well despite Tim Lyons insistence on creating a parallel promotional universe on Facebook which makes counting potential punters somewhat onerous….I will reprimand him severely when I see him next….;)
- And the BIOGRAPHY of the chap in the picture below is now on sale on Lulu – i’ve read it and it is rather a gripping story – check it out – it’s written by Stephen Dobson…..