Concluding a two part run through of the best of 2011. A very difficult show to put together as I had to leave a lot of fine music out of the mix, however due to the magic of Mixcloud there is a way around that…..
As is usual at this time of year I have chosen my “best of” and these are:
- My Band of the Year : The Blimp ; runners up Factory Star
- My Gig of the Year : The Hamsters final gig at the Crescent ; runners up Factory Star/The Blimp at FAC 251
- My New Band of the the Year : Kill for Company ; runners up – Kill Pretty
- My Session of the year : Kill Pretty on SDs Sonic Diary ; runners up – Bikini Test Failure on Aural Delights
- My Event of the year : The Helmets for Men stage at Sounds from the Other City; runners up – Mayfest at Islington Mill
- My Song of the year : Danny Short – Check For Response ; runners up – Factory Star – Angel Steps
I will be announcing my Album of the Year on tomorrow nights Aural Delights Show.
All in all a pretty spectacular year music wise and the following 15 songs I think demonstrate the strength and breadth of the local music scene (with an interloper from Margate who gets included because of his unstinting support and all round glamorous nature!)
- The Suzukis – Are You Happy With Yourself – a stunning debut album from this band from Wigan
- The Happy Fallen – The Wheel – Neal James continues to deliver great music from the depths of Crumpsall
- Periscope – Sleeping With Ghosts – Martin Swinney the most prolific man in Manchester – album soon I hope.
- Toby Jughead and His Merry Drones – Media City Ditty – swathed in mystery, superglue and ceramic delight – the abiding question of 2011 is who is Toby J? Limits Maid Found Corsets.
- Salford Media City – The Life and Death of Peter Sellers – More please next year Mr Jackson.
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – an amazing trio delivering great tunes – featuring the omnipresent C Dutton esquire.
- Whipcord – Dread Stop Bop – stunning album, great tune.
- Fall Fan Dave and the Lap Top Dancers – Costa Del Fridge – from the second album – Yelling Boil – a true iconoclast.
- Toska Wilde – I Am Your Temptation – Margate via Salford for the nail polish guru.
- Danny Short – Check For Response – from the second of two great albums from the bard of Horwich. The single most wonderful piece of music I have heard this year.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire – Kearsley’s finest….
- Taser Puppets – Dim – the magnificent Puppets with a piece of pop class…
- Kill Pretty – Babes in the Wood – from the Hamsters they came breathing fire – a phoenix rising – featuring two fifths of Dragnet, 2 Duttons and a Moey…..who could ask for anything more
- The Blimp – Fake Tan – the best live band in the area at the moment – anchored by a memorable rhythm section and lead by a genuine certified genius, Word- Art!
- The Fall – Fiery Jack – and to conclude, as I usually do, a bit of magic from the heart of post-punk
This selection of tunes proved to be best of the local material for the year and were broadcast on Salford City Radio.
However there were a number of bands I could not leave out so I put together a mix of my other favourites which was as follows:
- Trojan Horse – Disciplining The Reserve Army
- Irk The River – One Year Performance
- Phil Davies the Ninja Smoke Bombs – Fixed Penalty Points
- The Vanity Project – Structure of an Atom
- The Mang Mang Mangs – Is it the Grouse?
- The Black Lights – In the Dark
- Emperor Zero – Mental Health Café
- Kit B – Fear of Flying
- Girl Peculiar – Destiny
- Stalagmites – Supply and Demand
- Death to the Strange – Shades of my mind
- Positronik – When The Bitch Knows Your Name
- The Hired Help – Perfect Society
- Neuron No – Saving the World
- Mi Amo Simmy – Up With This I Will Not Put
- Mandrake – Last Orders
- Well North of Watford – Make Sense of Loneliness
- Twinkle & Co – Jock Tally
- Syd Bozko – Come Get Me
- Urchins – Cabin Fever
- Wonderland Trip – Bring Back The Sunshine
- Ha Ha Said The Car – Storm Petal Suzie
- Open Party – Inertia
- Warm Widow – Back the Class
- TG Elias – Southbound Otley Highway
- The Louche FC – Four Parts Bastard
- Veladrome – Elvis
- Early Mojo – Balloon Basket
- Ghost Outfit – Boy
- Belle Vue – Platform One
- Skankadelia – Distinct Lack of Secrecy
This can be streamed from Mixcloud here
This show focuses on the band that have contributed to our latest free download which is available from September 1st ….. Sandells
- Sandells – Hell In Heaven – Session Track – recorded live in Studio 2 last year, i’m still trying to work out how we got a drum kit, bass player, guitarist and keyboard player in the studio – featuring Dave Thom as special guest on the keys. Sandells is Tim Lyons (bass, vocals) Johann Kloos (guitar, vocals) and Brian Benson (drums).
- Sandbox – Out of Rage – the b-side of Shades of Grey – still waiting for the album.
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – as released on June 24th – you can see the video here….
- Sandells – Glissando – a new track from the band which they let me have for the show – an amazing mix of Neu and Gong with that added Sandells magic.
- Arks – Untitled #2 – from the new EP which you can get from Bandcamp.
- Mandrake – Echoes in Eternity – New demo from the second album due to be released next year, Oscar says “this is rough first mix only with guide vocal so obviously not been properly mixed/mastered”.
- Periscope – Barefoot – it’s mandatory to play a little Periscope once in a while.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire – a demo track from this band from Kearsley.
- Sandells – Alien Intelligence – Alien Intelligence – the title track from the live album – recorded live in Glossop on Janice’s super duper video thingy – not a camera phone as I mistakenly say on the show – watch this blog for details on how to download the album – it is free!
- Death to the Strange – Closer – it is also mandatory to play a little DTTS once in a while.
- The Blimp – Fake Tan – 3 – still available from Bandcamp FREE!! …..featuring my good buddy Michael J Leigh on the drums …. he is also on…
- The Fall – Fiery Jack – Fiery Jack – classic Fall…..no more to say…..
to listen to the show……click the link below
A variety of new sounds on this show a lot of them from the Greater Salford area…….or Manchester as it is more commonly referred to…..but many more from far flung places like Coventry, Falkirk and Huddersfield……
- WU LYF – Dirt (Single) : the next big thing? I think it’s too early to tell but this single is definitely quality stuff. You will be able to see for yourself at Manchester International Festival in July.
- White Swallow – Rain (Single) – consist of Bobby Mambo- Guitar + Vox and
Sam Swallows- Drums and hail from Chorley (a fine place with some nice restaurants).More info the Brock and Roll site.
- The Strive – Down in London (Demo) – interesting band from Stretford consisting Gurmakh Singh – Guitar/Vocals, Jake Ogden – Guitar/Vocals
Thomas ‘Toast’ Barlow – Bass/Vocals, Mike Carolan – Drums.
- Beirut – East Harlem (Single) – nice to see them back and with a great tune from Zac Condon.
- The Suns – Sun Strut – Down and Out in Little Deva (Album) – the rather impressive and utterly groovy Suns who are playing at Helmets for Men in September…..and are well worth seeing.
- Zap Zap Zap – Brick Window – apparently the NME think they are good which is usually the kiss of death for me but they are actually very impressive. It would appear that they “enjoy taking influence from the potent and enigmatic things of everyday life; amplifying them to great heights of their own musical art”. Not sure that adequately covers a very polished and unique sound that encourages further listening. Very melodic and well constructed tune this.
- Bad Pollyanna – My Incubi (Single) – I like a touch of alternative rock sturm und drang once in a while and this one ticked my one working set of ossicles so I thought I would give it an airing. The album is in gestation as I understand it. Based in Huddersfield the band consists of Olivia Hyde – Vocals, Nikki Kontinen – Bass, Sam Morrow – Drums, and Peter Dawes – Guitar. Apparently the stage show is pretty impressive and looking at some of the vids on You Tube they do have an impressive look to them. Turns out Sam the drummer lives in Manchester also. If you want to contribute to the production of the album you can pay for the single otherwise its free to download. Good idea I think – something Kristin Hersh does with her Strange Angels thingy.
- Audio Asylum – Pressure (Demo) – a very impressive band from Liverpool who I’ve played before. A taster from a forthcoming ep.
- The Black Hands – 45 (Demo) – Five piece Blues Rock outfit The Black Hands are: Daniel Riley – Guitar & Vocals, Richard Moore – Guitar & Vocals, Andy Gannon – Vocals & Harmonica, Dan Bennet – Bass, Ben Atkins – Drums. Rather reminiscent of the music I was listening to when I was a young whippersnapper in loon pants and a tank top.
- The Wild Swans – Falling to Bits – The Coldest Winter for a Hundred Years (Album) – if you want any further evidence of my advancing senility then you have it in me describing the rather marvellous Wild Swans as the “White” Swans – I put this down to an over-ingestion of Doctor Joey Holts bronchial medicine. Aside from my idiocy an excellent track from a brilliant album.
- Pose Victorious – Off The Rails – Beneath the Lighthouse (EP) – e a 5 piece indie rock band from Falkirk, Scotland. Having formed in mid 2009 they quickly released their self titled debut E.P. in March 2010. Since then the band have endeavoured to introduce their sound to new ears, playing a host of gigs and down the country, this is from their new EP.
- V Thirteen – What Happened To You (Demo – Radio Edit) – V Thirteen was formed in March 2011 by Dermo (from Northside) and Matt Rynn. Work is now underway on the writing of the self recorded debut album ‘The Rest Is History’ which will be engineered, produced and mixed by Dermo and Matt. This is the first demo.
- Pint Shot Riot – Twisted Soul (Single) – from Coventry, the band were formed in 2004 under the name ‘Avenue’ – they changed their name to ‘Pint Shot Riot’ because when you enter the word ‘Pint’ into predictive text, the phone often mistakes it for ‘Shot’ or ‘Riot. The Band’s current lineup consists of two cousins Richard ‘Rocket’ Emerson (Guitar and Vocals) and Chris ‘Mini Rocket’ Connell (Drums and Backing Vocals) with Dave ‘Baby Dave’ Page (Bass) and Rob Clements (Lead Guitar & Backing Vocals).
- Esmerine– A Dog River – La Lechuza (Album)an experimental instrumental group started by Bruce Cawdron and Beckie Foon, who have contributed to other Montreal-based bands as Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Set Fire to Flames, and Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band. The music consists mainly of percussion, cello, and marimba sharing many characteristics with minimalist classical music and chamber music.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire (Demo) – very little info about these guys at this point in time but an impressive tune.
To listen click on the link below