This time around the featured artists is guitarist – Gabor Szabo…..listen here
||The Aura Will Prevail
||Well You Needn’t
||Blue Note Volume 1
||Lullaby of Birdland
||Live at Birdland
||Evening in Paris
||This is How I Feel About Jazz
||Vijay Iver Trio
||The Village of the Virgins
||Voice in the Night
||A Different Journey
On this weeks show – which you can listen to at your leisure here:
||Tour De Force
||It’s You Or No One
||4 X 4
||I’ll Take Romance
||Swing, Swang, Swingin’
||Half the Day is Night
||Love You More
||Weather The Storm
||This Here Is Bobby Timmons
||Something to Live For
||Body and Soul
||Keystone Bop : Sunday Night
On this show:
- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers – Lester Left Town -The Blue Note recordings of Art Blakey’s 1960 Jazz Messengers – wrongly described by me on the show as a recent release – this actually came out in 1992 – I was getting confused with the Miles Davis set next up in the show. This Wayne Shorter classic shows this great line-up at its very best.
- Miles Davis Quintet – Riot- Live in Europe 1967 The Bootleg Series Volume 1 – A brand new mammoth 3 CD/1 DVD release which captures a series of live dates from the second great quintet. Comparable to “The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel” in the mind stretching ability of this band to deconstruct and revive jazz….on the show I describe this as Round Midnight when it is in fact Riot – this is due to my ineptitude and the mislabling of the CD….that’ll teach me to pay more attention.
- Bob James – Night Crawler – Heads – Grover Washington, Jr. (tenor & soprano sax) and David Sanborn (alto sax) feature on this 1977 date from James – derided by the purists at too “pop” i’d argue it acts as a useful counterpoint and yardstick to the more challenging end of the jazz world.
- Cannonball Adderley – Make Your Own Temple – Soul of the Bible – A 1972 release from Cannonball’s quintet featuring four additional percussionists and George Duke on Keyboards.
- Nat Adderley – Funny Funny – Don’t Look Back – A 1976 release on Steeplechase featuring Fernando Gumbs (bass) Onaje Allan Gumbs (piano) Nat Adderley (cornet) Ken McIntyre (alto sax, oboe, bassoon, flute, bass clarinet) John Stubblefield (tenor sax, soprano sax)Ira Buddy Williams (drums) Victor See Yuen (congas, percussion).
- Miles Davis Quintet – Footprints – Live in Europe 1967 The Bootleg Series Volume 1 – another tune from Disc 2 of this great release with Wayne Shorter’s keynote composition.
- Harold Land – In the back, in the corner, in the dark – Damisi – modal music from 1974 showing the early influences of fusion and funk – the excellent Buster Williams is on bass. Must play more Harold Land as he is terribly underrated which is great pity for such a great musician.
- Miles Davis Quintet – Riot – Live in Europe 1967 The Bootleg Series Volume 1 – a Herbie Hancock composition from the third CD of this great set.
- The Shadows – Nivram – Out of the Shadows – as requested by drummer of this parish Mr Michael John Leigh who advises this tune forms the basis of part of The Blimps recent Bin Bag Shuffle release (still available free as a download from here). Is it Jazz? I think so….
- Gabor Szabo – The Fortune Teller – Dreams – Third stream wonderment from Szabo from 1969….
Listen to the show by following the link below…..