The final part of my four week preview of this years Salford Music Festival featuring a snap-shot of some of the 200+ artists appearing at 20 venues around the city from Thursday 20th to Sunday 23rd September.
You can stream the show from here…….
- AAAK – Out Here – Totalitarian Tip Toe
- Curry Quiche – Dry Handkerchief – EP
- Girl Peculiar – Believe – Single
- Miss Lucid – Another Pathogen – EP
- Saturday Morning Cartoons – Lady In A Radiator – Demo
- Sheena Bratt – Fire In Your Eyes – Demo
- Boz Hayward – Invasion of the Ditty Dots – Single
- John Mackie – 9.5 Grams – Single
- I Invented Fire – Absence is Distant (And Distant Works) (Radio Edit) – Demo
- Jed Is Dead – Damaged – Demo
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – Single
- Kill Pretty – Breakdown Man – Dark Heart
- TeamAVsTeamB – That First Love – Demo
- The Fall – Lap Top Dog – Single
For details of all the gigs and all the venues go to the festival website
Here is this weeks extravaganza (listen here) – with a sizeable proportion of local talent.
Track 1. The Girl Peculiar track is a pre-release of a forthcoming single from a forthcoming album – it’s our record of the week for this week on SCR.
Track 5. The Outreach Project tell me that they play Moho Manchester on November 3rd.
Track 6 – Rory says the band’s first album “Original Junkie” – which features 12 brand new tracks – is out on 13th August and pre orders can be made now at: http://boomin.tmstor.es/
||Don’t Need This
||Cirque De La Mort
||The Outreach Project
||If I Said I Want You
||Cut Me Out
||Cut Me Out
||I Invented Fire
||Kill for Company
||Left Hand Man
||Set Me Free
||The 1982 Masters
||Brushin The Dust
||Where Rain Lives (Lil Mouse)
||Black Monk Theme Pt 1
It’s all been a bit of mad rush over the last few weeks so i’m taking the opportunity of a wet and cold July evening to catch up on a few things……
Anyway the first column in the Salford Advertiser finally saw the light of day this week – I will be in the paper fortnightly from now on….. not sure if the sub-editor quite got the ironic tinge regarding the anthem thing…..also my show is not day time…..
Already mentioned elsewhere that I am very impressed by Girl Peculiar’s new single “Believe” – it’s our recommended “Local Track of the Week” on Salford City Radio next week so it should get some repeat plays. Tune in and catch it if you can – it’s rather special. In parallel my top for the top record for next week is Daystar’s new single “Don’t Need This”.
Got sent links by a band called Tape (https://www.facebook.com/tapeuk) whose singer and keyboard player – Toby – is Salford born and bred. Nice sound and well worth checking out.
I heavily featured the Doctrines first release “O this body of mine I renounce you your style is a crime” last year and I shall be doing the same with their new release “Ze” (ir is it “ZE”?) – I have already played the opening track “Climbing Yggdrasil” a few weeks back…..they are certainly one of the better bands on the circuit at the moment ….. bandcamp link http://doctrines.bandcamp.com/album/ze
Ian Breen of Borland (and countless other bands too numerous to mention) also recommends highly a Sheffield band called Wooderson (there is an in-joke amongst my friends about this name …..) i’ve sort of had them in the listening pile for a while now and finally got round to listening tonight – impressive post rock grandeur in an anthemic stylee with a touch of prog in there also ….and you can sample a couple of track for free here – http://wooderson.bandcamp.com/
A blues soaked, hypnotic and rhythmically compelling piece of pop mastery.
I’ve always been rather fond of the work of Jenny Shuttleworth, aka Girl Peculiar, but I have to say she has surpassed herself with this single, from a forthcoming album.
Shimmering guitars, evocative cellos, and a tour de force vocal performance mark this out as a rather special piece of work – when the rhythmic guitar kicks in on the choruses and the beat picks up you are hooked. Rich lyrical imagery tops it all off with a masterful flourish. Jenny and the band bring together the blues and soul, in a cinematic soundscape, there are echoes of slide guitar, multi-layered vocals, and tribal drumming, all coming together in a unforgettable mix.
If this is not topping the charts soon then there ain’t no justice in the world.
Previewing the Salford Music Festival again this week with music from (bands in bold are playing the festival):
- Kill for Company – Pink Fluffy Dynamite – a new track from the dynamic duo
- Claw the Thin Ice – Comfort Zone – interesting change of direction from Ian Breen on this recent release
- Trojan Horse – And the lights went down – from the album……which you can now get for free from their bandcamp page
- Early Mojo – Dirt – Walkden’s finest from the Beergasm Demo – leave them a message on Facebook if you want a copy
- Mr Heart – Mr Heart – from the excellent “The Hide” release from last year which coincidentally Tamsin gave a me a Sneaky preview copy of at the main stage event of last years festival
- Sandells – Cockroaches – a new track from the titanic trio which moves from free jazz improv into kraut-motorik with amazing ease…..
- Neuron No – Limonchik – another trio demonstrating excellent musical dexterity
- Hot Vestry – Turn On – and yet another trio proving that the future of good music is secure….
- Positronik – The Bitch Knows Your Name – i’m incredibly biased about this lot as they are my chums, and I do their website for them, but I have to say this is very good indeed….another trio by the way…must be a trend
- AAAK – We Fall Alone – if you have not seen these live then do yourself a favour and catch them at the Salford Music Festival – they are duo mostly but sometimes a trio and rarely a quartet
- The Mang Mang Mangs – Side By Side – another track from a rather impressive duo – they are seeking live opportunities at the moment so if any promoters are interested please contact them…
- Girl Peculiar – Destiny – the last single and rather excellent it is too…..
- The Fall – No Bulbs – saw them do this at the International 2 in 1986 – typical of the Brix era with a focus on lead guitar lines and a punchy rhythm
To listen to the show click on the link below
Information about the bands playing at the festival can be found here
On this show a lot of new material which has come my way recently……
- Girl Peculiar – Destiny – (Single)- released last week – great new single from Jenny and co available from I Tunes/Amazon.
- Vinny Peculiar – My Generation (I said Goodbye) – Other People Like Me (Album) – fantastic new album from Vinny is out digitally on 4th July and as cd/vinyl on 12th September. His first album “Gone” (not Get Gone as I say on the show) can be downloaded free from the website.
- Black Lights – We Can Fly – In the Dark (EP) – play Manchester Academy on 9th July
- Kranius – Crucified (Single) – I’m not sure how many metal bands there are active in the city at the moment but Kranius are the front runners with a great sound. Check out their Bandcamp page for lots of older material. The gig I announced on the show on 23rd has now been put back to 29th and they are also on at the Crescent on 2nd July along with Not Above Evil. Soma Dark and one TBC.
- AAAK – Everything’s Real (Exclusive Demo) – Ding has sent me some new work which I will be featuring in a fortnight. The dynamic duo play The Bar Galleon, Blackpool on 22nd July and the next Helmets for Men at Islington Mill the following week. This is a great track that they put together a while back. Looking forward to seeing them live again.
- Periscope – The Sunshine House – the ever ebullient Mr Swinney has been extremely busy as the album draws towards its inevitable completion around Christmas time (approx) – this is a rather marvellous up tempo glorious celebration of stuff with a stunning bass riff
- Gods Gift – Another Government Day (Exclusive Track to Salford City Radio) – worth playing this again – excellent return for a great band.
- Vinny Peculiar – Artrockers – Other People Like Me (Album) – evoking the great times in mid 70s when Art Rock emerged in full force…..excellent song. Any song which mentions Cadbury’s Flake is ok with me.
- Magazine -I want your heart – Second Hand Daylight (Album) Given Vinny mentioned Howard in the previous song I thought I would play a classic from the ex denizen of Lower Broughton Road.
- The Blimp – Art Job (from the band) – do not play Ruby Lounge on 23rd June now as I announced, cancelled unfortunately, and I’m not sure about the Guzzlin’ Goose gig on 25th June – I suggest you check their Facebook page for updates. A remarkable track this from a remarkable band. All three of them are adopted Salfordians now. And it completes a nice little trilogy of arty tunes.
- Kranius – All The Same – Evilution (EP)
- Periscope – Ethereal (Pre-release)
- Black Lights – In the Dark – In the Dark (EP)
- Periscope – Quicksand (Pre-release)
To listen to the show click on the link below