On this weeks show….which you can listen to here…….the featured artists are….
||Future of the Left
||Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman
||The Plot Against Common Sense
||Mind Still Cries
||Left Lane Cruiser
||Lost My Mind
||Junkyard Speed Ball
||Hank Marvin’s Slippers
||For Girls Who Grow Plump In the Night
||You Made Me
||The Road Gets Harder From Here
||The Baltic States
||Paul J Riley
||Heavy Like A Loaded Gun
||Future of the Left
||I Am The Least of Your Problems
||The Plot Against Common Sense
||The Great Escape of Leslie Magnafuzz
A mixed bag of old and new featuring three fumbles from Farley……
- Van Der Graaf – Cat’s Eye, Yellow Fever (Running) – The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Demo – they dropped the “generator” part of the name for this 1977 release, possibly the coolest prog rock band in the universe at the time given Hammill’s approbation by the likes of Smith and Lydon….this finds Hammill and Evans reunited with Nic Potter and adding Graeme Smith from “String Driven Thing” to create a unique mix of punk ethic and prog excess. A great album and well worth searching out for a listen.
- Moongoose – Slumber (There is light) – Silhouettes and Shadows – well we’ve all been getting a little bit excited about this band at Salford City Radio and my chums SD and Monty have been playing their music – thanks to James for getting this one to me. Exceptional stuff.
- Voix Bulgares – Polegnala E Todala – Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares – fond memories of this album from the Peel show and thanks to Farley for recommending it as a “fumble” for this weeks show.
- Siglo 21 – She’s The One – Residents of Temporary Homes – I received a pile of CDs from the lovely folks at Sleepy Music and was impressed by all of them. This band write great tunes.
- Steamkings – The Heavenly B&B – The Full English – Songs about illicit weekends in Brighton, encroaching adult responsibilities and how to avoid them. Unreleased until recently , and with extra bonus tracks from the sessions. Great album.
- Twin Atlantic – Make A Beast of Myself – Single – out soon, not been too keen on this lot until now but this single is damn good.
- Robedoor – Solid State – Bored Fortress – another Farley recommendation – this band have had a split release with local heroes “Gnod” – in essence Alex and Britt Brown doyens of the underground scene who run the Not Not Fun lable. Loose, improvisational and trancey.
- Moongoose – Dark Forces Walking – Silhouettes and Shadow – another excellent track from a rather marvellous combo.
- Forgery Lit – Innocence – Demo – as featured on last weeks show.
- Honey – Counting Seasons – Taste It and See – as featured for the last four weeks this is the remaining track from the recent EP that I have not played yet.
- Sen Segur – Cyfoeth Gwylb – Pen Rhydd – as featured for the last four weeks this is the remaining track from the last but one EP that I have not played yet. Loosely translates from the Welsh as Power Wet….or is it Wet Power?
- Orchestra of Spheres – Spontaneous Symmetry – Nonogonic Now – the last Farley “Fumble” of the evening, barking mad and rather fine indeed.
- Scientist and Prince Jammy – Buck Rogers in the Black Hole – Scientist and Jammy Strike Back! – Linval Thompson and the Roots Radics at their dubby best.
To listen to all of this click on the linkage below…..
This show features a significant amount of newer material:
- Forgery Lit – Toffee Tears – came in through our unsigned page at http://www.salfordcityradio.org as did a lot of the bands on this show. Check out there Facebook page for both tracks but I play but unfortunately very little information at this stage. Impressed by this I have to say, a unique sound
- Mummy Short Arms – Cigarette Smuggling – along with Kill for Company, the new band of the year for me so far. This was their last release on Flowers in the Dustbin. The new single is later on in the show.
- Honey – Tang – Taste it and see – another great band from Scotland, I have been featuring this EP for the last few weeks, and rather fine it is to. A recent interview on the Southside Happenings blog fills you in on more details.
- Mike Bryant – Colours in the Rainbow – Urgency – you can download his EP for free from www.mikebryantmusic.co.uk/media.html where there is a lot more information about this guy who has a unique voice.
- Clara Engel – Lick My Fins – Secret Beasts – another singer with a unique approach – check out her extensive back catalogue here http://claraengel.bandcamp.com/
- Able Tasmans – The Klingon National Anthem – Store in a cool place – another Farley selection from New Zealand.
- Mummy Short Arms – Change – the new single which is out in September I believe, another example of how marvellous this band are.
- Sen Segur – Oswald – Pen Rhydd – another band that I have been featuring over the last few weeks – you can get their music from here http://recordiaucaegwyn.com/
- Forgery Lit – Sofia
- Mummy Short Arms – Where’s the Mortuary? – the other part of the new single
- Ektoise – Subquanta – Kiyomizu – impressive Australian band – check out their music here http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/
- Dave Graney – Night of the Wolverine 4 -Rock and Roll is Where I Hide – an abiding love for this man’s music requires that I play him once in a while. This is a remake of an older Coral Snakes tune on the latest album – details of where to purchase are here http://www.thedavegraneyshow.com/General/swag007.htm – he also has a book out which I must track down.
To listen to the show click the link below
On this show…..
- Choking Susan – You’re So Pretty – Detroit Punk legends with a classic tune
- The Black Rabbits – Twist – from the new album “Hypno Switch”
- Evangelista – In Animal Tongue – from the new album which will be released on September 19th
- Honey – Summertone – excellent band from Scotland who sent me their EP – you will be hearing more of this in future weeks
- Sen Segur – Taith Duncan Goodhew – excellent band from Wales who sent me their EP – you will be hearing more of this in future weeks
- Julia Dowler – Ashes to Fire
- Enceladus featuring Julia Dowler – Daybreak (Love is Music)
- The Alphas – Sing My Song – another band that sent me their album – but with very little detail so I cannot tell you a great deal
- Secret Garden Gathering – Station Road – new release from this talented band from Liverpool
- Evangelista – Artificial Lamb – also from the new album….you can get this as a free download
- The Ettes – You Were There – from the new album “Wicked Will”
- Tall Dwarfs – Lowlands – another New Zealand selection from Farley…
- Late Night Shopping – Doctor Punkenstien – another great band from the Sleepy Music lable – more of them in future shows (radio edit)
To listen click the link below