Well as the month draws to a chilly end it’s worth reflecting on the first month of the calender year…….well over 50 new bands , whether demos, singles or albums have come my way in 31 days and that’s not counting the absolute dross I have had to reject on the grounds of public well-being taste and decency. That’s a dizzying amount of new music to absorb in the context of having lots of older stuff to recall and bring forward for consideration. On the most part things have been good and the standard, variety and uniqueness of the material is all very high indeed.
However having said that today’s listening has been somewhat marred by a pile of things which I will not even bother listing – awful in extremis…..somewhat rescued by….
My recommendation of the day which is:
- Mark Lanegan Band – Blues Funeral : chap out of the “Screaming Trees” for those who know them, also “QOTSA” and “The Twilight Singers” amongst other things….his latest release is out next week and I have to say it’s rather fine indeed – dense and intense bluesy material which sort of sums up and concentrates into one excellent package the material he has produced over his previous six albums.
On this weeks Salford Music Scene…….to listen click here…only one deliberete error this time when I describe Novelty as being Dead Souls…..
Mostly new stuff on this show
- Humanizer – Arthur Brown Gets Me Down – from the new EP “This Tiny Universe” which came out on Hacienda Records on 8th August
- Limbs – The Worms Want Blood – a sample track from the forthcoming album
- The Reveres – The Death of Miss X – the new single part 1
- Baby Strange – Fair is Fair – from the demo CD
- Rawcuss – Manchester News – the new single
- Lee Rice – Lost Without A Cause – a new track from the front man of the recently split Overeasies
- Kill for Company – To Disappear – another track from my fave new band of the moment
- The Wonderland Trip – Bring Back The Sunshine – they are around and about gigging catch them
- Ryko Saints – X is Next – as are they…..
- The Reveres – Riders From Zero – new single part 2
- The Sandells – Striptease – a new instrumental from our very own masters of Kraut-Punk
- Tom Byrne and Friends – Another One Falls – caught this young man with his band last Friday – very impressive
- The Kindest of Thieves – The Kindest of Thieves – they are gigging also … more newer stuff on next weeks show
- Baby Strange – My Neighbours A Killer – as above
- Hot Vestry – Commiserations – another track from the new EP
- The Fall – Blood Outta Stone – a Beddington-Smith classic from 1990 – originally appeared on the White Lightning/Dredger single/EP
To listen then click the link…..
On this edition of the show
- The Sandells – Hell in Heaven – recorded live at Salford City Radio – playing Gullivers on 4th August along with……
- Silver Sound Explosion – Telephone Wire – featuring the omnipresent Mr C Dutton on the bass guitar…..
- The Black Lights – We Can Fly…..playing the Kings Arms on the 6th August
- The Deodates – Here Lies Amber – before the Calimocho Club were the Black Knights they were the Deodates……
- Death to the Strange – Shades of My Mind – playing Bakers Vault, Stockport on 6th August – and busking in a street near you….
- Kill for Company – Black and White – on at the Printworks on 5th August and Bakers Vault on 11th August
- Danny Short – Winter in Me – a taste of the new album…..
- Positronik – Save It For Me – playing Dry Bar 5th August
- The Deodates – Knives
- Humanizer – Shinobi – exclusive preview of a tracks from the new EP “This Tiny Universe” out on August 8th
- Kill for Company – Money Now
- Hot Vestry – Snakes In The Grass – a highly talented trio of 16 years old from Rainow….not Manchester as I say on the show…..
- The Deodates – Saucy Jack
- Sandbox – Shades of Grey – where’s the album then chaps????
- The Fall – The Man Whose Head Expanded – a classic piece of Smith verbal magic which I saw performed at the Hacienda in 1983 – stunning bass from Hanley S
To listen click the link…..
Somewhat otherwise engaged doing the Reformation Webzine at the moment so only chance to list what’s on this show
- AAAK – Sharpshooter – The Collection
- Bill Davro – Winter is Over – Single
- Twinkle & Co – Haunted – Demo
- The Calimocho Club – Roll The Dice – Whoa Whoa Hey Hey
- O.C.D. – Sha Na Na – Single
- Humanizer – Shinobi – Early Version
- The Ascension – Idealistic Future – New Renaissance
- Madpack – It’s The Menace – Demo
- The Calimocho Club – Baby’s got a switch blade – Whoa Whoa Hey Hey
- Periscope – Valentina Tereshkova – Demo
- The Calimocho Club – She Told Me – Whoa Whoa Hey Hey
- Kranius – Waste My Time – Turn to Stone
- The Hamsters – Chip Shop Song – The Sonic Diary Sessions
- The Blimp – Art Job
- The Fall – The League of Bald-Headed Men – The Infotainment Scan
Mostly about promoting forthcoming gigs but also some new stuff and a couple of classics….sorry no time for any words about the bands this week due to other distractions….
- Trojan Horse – Patricroft Way
- From the Kites of San Quentin – Lantern Melt
- Cyril Snear – Heath Robinson
- Factory Star – The Fall of Great Britain
- The Monochrome Set – We Are Zarbie
- Cougar Manouver – No Light
- Everyday Goldfish – Second Thoughts
- Madpack – Hush
- Humanizer – The Manifesto Is Over
- AAAK – BOS
- Toby Jughead and his band of Merry Drones– Media City Ditty (Radio Edit)
- Shanty Town – Biscuit
- V Thirteen – You’re Gonna Miss Me When I’m Gone
- The Fall – Contraflow
To listen to the show click on the link below