A relatively quiet day on the new things in box so I will concentrate on this day’s show….which is notable for the large proportion of new things being played.
I would single out the new Disappears album (Pre-Language) as something to look forward to – now with Sonic Youth’s Steve Shelley on drums this new release has moved on considerably from last years “Guider”. Also pleased to see at last the album from Limbs (Olympics) which further demonstrates Mike Chadwick’s exceptional compositional skill – for fans of quirkly English music this is one to check out. The second part of Earths two-fer “Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light” moves into a far more improvisational area – this is considered music, painfully slow at times, but rich with ideas and sentiment. With the exception of the closing Farley Kiwi Fumble and a classic from The Walkabouts the bulk of the rest is new and unsigned work from around the country. You can find all of these people on Facebook easily.
The playlist is…..and you can hear it here
||The Worms Want Blood
||Wait A Minute
||The Beautiful and Damned
||Recordings and Live Demos
||Love Went With All The Rest
||The Corascene Dog
||Angels of Darkness Demons of Light II
||All Gone White
||Toska Wilde and Luis Drayton
||Ended Up A Stranger
||After The Ordeal
||The Coke Authority
||The Sunshine Fix
||Last Night I Had A Dream
||The Future History of the Sunshine Fix
On this show
- Lydia Lunch and Big Sexy Noise – Devils Working Overtime – Trust the Witch – Lydia formed Big Sexy Noise in 2009 with James Johnston and Terry Edwards (both members of the band Gallon Drunk). This new album is a marked improvement on their debut eponymous EP.
- Otalgia – Juniper – Is that Squirrel Relevant? – from a limited edition freebie EP given away at the Unpeeled Gig in Preston last month. Features Ted Chippington – always a good thing. Thanks to Mike for getting this to me. And if you are wondering what Otalgia is – well it’s the medical name for earache.
- Invoke – Second Time Lucky – new single from the band from Gateshead.
- The Ettes – Red In Tooth and Claw – Do You Want Power – a little garage rock from the new album
- Super-Cannes – New York, London, Paris Tokyo – Idee Fixe – from Liverpool, came in through our “new and unsigned” page.
- The Room – Fly Away – this should really have been on the Salford Music Scene show but I was doing The Fall specials. They will be the support for Shanty Town’s farewell gig on November 12th at Moho Live.
- The Cheek of Her – 27 – Passionate Shit – The Cheek of Her writes quirky, Alternative, Pop/Rock with generally miserable lyrics and performs live with Musician friends and foes! Official website: http://www.thecheekofher.com/
- The Coke Authority – Malice – as played last week – a band with a lot of promise.
- Richie Barron and the three Soul Brothers – I’ ve Got News – Freeway Lover – from the new album.
- Sigur Ros – Hoppipolla – Inni – from the live album released this week.
- The Room – Not Enough
- Thee Oh Sees – Crack In Your Eye – Carrion Crawler/The Dream – the acceptable face of modern american music…….
- Super-Cannes – When People Die In Small Rooms
- This City of Takers – Winter Wheat – Felt – an Indie-Rock band from St. Louis playing Post-Punk music compared to such diverse artist as Sonic Youth, Cursive, and Spoon to name a few.
Listen via the link below