No specific themes this time round – a bit of continuity here and there – but general just straight ahead jazz:
- Eddie Higgins – Melancholy Rhapsody – Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- J.J. Johnson – See See Rider – Standards Live at the Village
- Joey Baron – Slow Charleston – Well Soon Find Out
- Joe Lovano – Stella By Starlight – I’m All For You
- Ron Carter – First Trip – Eight Plus
- Ron Carter – Stella By Starlight – Dear Miles
- Scott Henderson – Tenderly – Apples and Oranges
- Christian Scott – Remains Distant – Anthem
- Art Pepper – Samba Mom Mom – Living Legend
Putting together World of Jazz tends to be a bit of a hit and miss affair as I either go with one particular artist or select of mix of music which I hope is complimentary.
For this particular show I was shuffling a few things around when I chanced upon Carl Craig’s Innerzone Orchestra project which I had not heard for a while. It’s an album that manages to meld Detroit Techno with jazz (and a few other things as well) to create something entirely unique and frankly refreshing – and unlike so many of the more obvious “sampled jazz with beats” albums out there – is actually developing new ground.
This lead to me to a line of thinking about drummers as leaders of bands and the most contemporary of the percussionists featured in this show – the great French drummer Manu Katche and his 2004 album on ECM “Playground” whose lyrical and complex tunes make for great listening. I then picked a couple of drummers I had seen live at the Band on the Wall around the same time in the mid 80s (for no other reason than a deep nostalgia of whisky soaked evenings listening to jazz at that fine establishment) – Joey Baron (when he was playing in a trio with Bill Frisell and Kermit Driscoll) and Ronald Shannon Jackson (fronting his own band). Two great sticksmen but also fine band leaders.
The rest of the show features a variety of music from Kenny Garrett, Malatu Estatqe, Arild Andersen, and Pharoah Sanders highlighting the international jazz world and its variety of styles.
Click on the link below to listen to the show