A variety of new sounds on this show a lot of them from the Greater Salford area…….or Manchester as it is more commonly referred to…..but many more from far flung places like Coventry, Falkirk and Huddersfield……
- WU LYF – Dirt (Single) : the next big thing? I think it’s too early to tell but this single is definitely quality stuff. You will be able to see for yourself at Manchester International Festival in July.
- White Swallow – Rain (Single) – consist of Bobby Mambo- Guitar + Vox and
Sam Swallows- Drums and hail from Chorley (a fine place with some nice restaurants).More info the Brock and Roll site.
- The Strive – Down in London (Demo) – interesting band from Stretford consisting Gurmakh Singh – Guitar/Vocals, Jake Ogden – Guitar/Vocals
Thomas ‘Toast’ Barlow – Bass/Vocals, Mike Carolan – Drums.
- Beirut – East Harlem (Single) – nice to see them back and with a great tune from Zac Condon.
- The Suns – Sun Strut – Down and Out in Little Deva (Album) – the rather impressive and utterly groovy Suns who are playing at Helmets for Men in September…..and are well worth seeing.
- Zap Zap Zap – Brick Window – apparently the NME think they are good which is usually the kiss of death for me but they are actually very impressive. It would appear that they “enjoy taking influence from the potent and enigmatic things of everyday life; amplifying them to great heights of their own musical art”. Not sure that adequately covers a very polished and unique sound that encourages further listening. Very melodic and well constructed tune this.
- Bad Pollyanna – My Incubi (Single) – I like a touch of alternative rock sturm und drang once in a while and this one ticked my one working set of ossicles so I thought I would give it an airing. The album is in gestation as I understand it. Based in Huddersfield the band consists of Olivia Hyde – Vocals, Nikki Kontinen – Bass, Sam Morrow – Drums, and Peter Dawes – Guitar. Apparently the stage show is pretty impressive and looking at some of the vids on You Tube they do have an impressive look to them. Turns out Sam the drummer lives in Manchester also. If you want to contribute to the production of the album you can pay for the single otherwise its free to download. Good idea I think – something Kristin Hersh does with her Strange Angels thingy.
- Audio Asylum – Pressure (Demo) – a very impressive band from Liverpool who I’ve played before. A taster from a forthcoming ep.
- The Black Hands – 45 (Demo) – Five piece Blues Rock outfit The Black Hands are: Daniel Riley – Guitar & Vocals, Richard Moore – Guitar & Vocals, Andy Gannon – Vocals & Harmonica, Dan Bennet – Bass, Ben Atkins – Drums. Rather reminiscent of the music I was listening to when I was a young whippersnapper in loon pants and a tank top.
- The Wild Swans – Falling to Bits – The Coldest Winter for a Hundred Years (Album) – if you want any further evidence of my advancing senility then you have it in me describing the rather marvellous Wild Swans as the “White” Swans – I put this down to an over-ingestion of Doctor Joey Holts bronchial medicine. Aside from my idiocy an excellent track from a brilliant album.
- Pose Victorious – Off The Rails – Beneath the Lighthouse (EP) – e a 5 piece indie rock band from Falkirk, Scotland. Having formed in mid 2009 they quickly released their self titled debut E.P. in March 2010. Since then the band have endeavoured to introduce their sound to new ears, playing a host of gigs and down the country, this is from their new EP.
- V Thirteen – What Happened To You (Demo – Radio Edit) – V Thirteen was formed in March 2011 by Dermo (from Northside) and Matt Rynn. Work is now underway on the writing of the self recorded debut album ‘The Rest Is History’ which will be engineered, produced and mixed by Dermo and Matt. This is the first demo.
- Pint Shot Riot – Twisted Soul (Single) – from Coventry, the band were formed in 2004 under the name ‘Avenue’ – they changed their name to ‘Pint Shot Riot’ because when you enter the word ‘Pint’ into predictive text, the phone often mistakes it for ‘Shot’ or ‘Riot. The Band’s current lineup consists of two cousins Richard ‘Rocket’ Emerson (Guitar and Vocals) and Chris ‘Mini Rocket’ Connell (Drums and Backing Vocals) with Dave ‘Baby Dave’ Page (Bass) and Rob Clements (Lead Guitar & Backing Vocals).
- Esmerine– A Dog River – La Lechuza (Album)an experimental instrumental group started by Bruce Cawdron and Beckie Foon, who have contributed to other Montreal-based bands as Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Set Fire to Flames, and Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band. The music consists mainly of percussion, cello, and marimba sharing many characteristics with minimalist classical music and chamber music.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire (Demo) – very little info about these guys at this point in time but an impressive tune.