The final part of my four week preview of this years Salford Music Festival featuring a snap-shot of some of the 200+ artists appearing at 20 venues around the city from Thursday 20th to Sunday 23rd September.
You can stream the show from here…….
- AAAK – Out Here – Totalitarian Tip Toe
- Curry Quiche – Dry Handkerchief – EP
- Girl Peculiar – Believe – Single
- Miss Lucid – Another Pathogen – EP
- Saturday Morning Cartoons – Lady In A Radiator – Demo
- Sheena Bratt – Fire In Your Eyes – Demo
- Boz Hayward – Invasion of the Ditty Dots – Single
- John Mackie – 9.5 Grams – Single
- I Invented Fire – Absence is Distant (And Distant Works) (Radio Edit) – Demo
- Jed Is Dead – Damaged – Demo
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – Single
- Kill Pretty – Breakdown Man – Dark Heart
- TeamAVsTeamB – That First Love – Demo
- The Fall – Lap Top Dog – Single
For details of all the gigs and all the venues go to the festival website
Concluding a two part run through of the best of 2011. A very difficult show to put together as I had to leave a lot of fine music out of the mix, however due to the magic of Mixcloud there is a way around that…..
As is usual at this time of year I have chosen my “best of” and these are:
- My Band of the Year : The Blimp ; runners up Factory Star
- My Gig of the Year : The Hamsters final gig at the Crescent ; runners up Factory Star/The Blimp at FAC 251
- My New Band of the the Year : Kill for Company ; runners up – Kill Pretty
- My Session of the year : Kill Pretty on SDs Sonic Diary ; runners up – Bikini Test Failure on Aural Delights
- My Event of the year : The Helmets for Men stage at Sounds from the Other City; runners up – Mayfest at Islington Mill
- My Song of the year : Danny Short – Check For Response ; runners up – Factory Star – Angel Steps
I will be announcing my Album of the Year on tomorrow nights Aural Delights Show.
All in all a pretty spectacular year music wise and the following 15 songs I think demonstrate the strength and breadth of the local music scene (with an interloper from Margate who gets included because of his unstinting support and all round glamorous nature!)
- The Suzukis – Are You Happy With Yourself – a stunning debut album from this band from Wigan
- The Happy Fallen – The Wheel – Neal James continues to deliver great music from the depths of Crumpsall
- Periscope – Sleeping With Ghosts – Martin Swinney the most prolific man in Manchester – album soon I hope.
- Toby Jughead and His Merry Drones – Media City Ditty – swathed in mystery, superglue and ceramic delight – the abiding question of 2011 is who is Toby J? Limits Maid Found Corsets.
- Salford Media City – The Life and Death of Peter Sellers – More please next year Mr Jackson.
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – an amazing trio delivering great tunes – featuring the omnipresent C Dutton esquire.
- Whipcord – Dread Stop Bop – stunning album, great tune.
- Fall Fan Dave and the Lap Top Dancers – Costa Del Fridge – from the second album – Yelling Boil – a true iconoclast.
- Toska Wilde – I Am Your Temptation – Margate via Salford for the nail polish guru.
- Danny Short – Check For Response – from the second of two great albums from the bard of Horwich. The single most wonderful piece of music I have heard this year.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire – Kearsley’s finest….
- Taser Puppets – Dim – the magnificent Puppets with a piece of pop class…
- Kill Pretty – Babes in the Wood – from the Hamsters they came breathing fire – a phoenix rising – featuring two fifths of Dragnet, 2 Duttons and a Moey…..who could ask for anything more
- The Blimp – Fake Tan – the best live band in the area at the moment – anchored by a memorable rhythm section and lead by a genuine certified genius, Word- Art!
- The Fall – Fiery Jack – and to conclude, as I usually do, a bit of magic from the heart of post-punk
This selection of tunes proved to be best of the local material for the year and were broadcast on Salford City Radio.
However there were a number of bands I could not leave out so I put together a mix of my other favourites which was as follows:
- Trojan Horse – Disciplining The Reserve Army
- Irk The River – One Year Performance
- Phil Davies the Ninja Smoke Bombs – Fixed Penalty Points
- The Vanity Project – Structure of an Atom
- The Mang Mang Mangs – Is it the Grouse?
- The Black Lights – In the Dark
- Emperor Zero – Mental Health Café
- Kit B – Fear of Flying
- Girl Peculiar – Destiny
- Stalagmites – Supply and Demand
- Death to the Strange – Shades of my mind
- Positronik – When The Bitch Knows Your Name
- The Hired Help – Perfect Society
- Neuron No – Saving the World
- Mi Amo Simmy – Up With This I Will Not Put
- Mandrake – Last Orders
- Well North of Watford – Make Sense of Loneliness
- Twinkle & Co – Jock Tally
- Syd Bozko – Come Get Me
- Urchins – Cabin Fever
- Wonderland Trip – Bring Back The Sunshine
- Ha Ha Said The Car – Storm Petal Suzie
- Open Party – Inertia
- Warm Widow – Back the Class
- TG Elias – Southbound Otley Highway
- The Louche FC – Four Parts Bastard
- Veladrome – Elvis
- Early Mojo – Balloon Basket
- Ghost Outfit – Boy
- Belle Vue – Platform One
- Skankadelia – Distinct Lack of Secrecy
This can be streamed from Mixcloud here
This show focuses on the band that have contributed to our latest free download which is available from September 1st ….. Sandells
- Sandells – Hell In Heaven – Session Track – recorded live in Studio 2 last year, i’m still trying to work out how we got a drum kit, bass player, guitarist and keyboard player in the studio – featuring Dave Thom as special guest on the keys. Sandells is Tim Lyons (bass, vocals) Johann Kloos (guitar, vocals) and Brian Benson (drums).
- Sandbox – Out of Rage – the b-side of Shades of Grey – still waiting for the album.
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – as released on June 24th – you can see the video here….
- Sandells – Glissando – a new track from the band which they let me have for the show – an amazing mix of Neu and Gong with that added Sandells magic.
- Arks – Untitled #2 – from the new EP which you can get from Bandcamp.
- Mandrake – Echoes in Eternity – New demo from the second album due to be released next year, Oscar says “this is rough first mix only with guide vocal so obviously not been properly mixed/mastered”.
- Periscope – Barefoot – it’s mandatory to play a little Periscope once in a while.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire – a demo track from this band from Kearsley.
- Sandells – Alien Intelligence – Alien Intelligence – the title track from the live album – recorded live in Glossop on Janice’s super duper video thingy – not a camera phone as I mistakenly say on the show – watch this blog for details on how to download the album – it is free!
- Death to the Strange – Closer – it is also mandatory to play a little DTTS once in a while.
- The Blimp – Fake Tan – 3 – still available from Bandcamp FREE!! …..featuring my good buddy Michael J Leigh on the drums …. he is also on…
- The Fall – Fiery Jack – Fiery Jack – classic Fall…..no more to say…..
to listen to the show……click the link below
On this edition of the show
- The Sandells – Hell in Heaven – recorded live at Salford City Radio – playing Gullivers on 4th August along with……
- Silver Sound Explosion – Telephone Wire – featuring the omnipresent Mr C Dutton on the bass guitar…..
- The Black Lights – We Can Fly…..playing the Kings Arms on the 6th August
- The Deodates – Here Lies Amber – before the Calimocho Club were the Black Knights they were the Deodates……
- Death to the Strange – Shades of My Mind – playing Bakers Vault, Stockport on 6th August – and busking in a street near you….
- Kill for Company – Black and White – on at the Printworks on 5th August and Bakers Vault on 11th August
- Danny Short – Winter in Me – a taste of the new album…..
- Positronik – Save It For Me – playing Dry Bar 5th August
- The Deodates – Knives
- Humanizer – Shinobi – exclusive preview of a tracks from the new EP “This Tiny Universe” out on August 8th
- Kill for Company – Money Now
- Hot Vestry – Snakes In The Grass – a highly talented trio of 16 years old from Rainow….not Manchester as I say on the show…..
- The Deodates – Saucy Jack
- Sandbox – Shades of Grey – where’s the album then chaps????
- The Fall – The Man Whose Head Expanded – a classic piece of Smith verbal magic which I saw performed at the Hacienda in 1983 – stunning bass from Hanley S
To listen click the link…..
Mostly about previewing gigs this week……
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – new single and rather fine it is to…..a trio featuring the ever busy Mr Chris Dutton on the bass guitar
- Positronik – Superheavy (Party’s Gunna Soon Be Over) …… another trio arising from the ashes of Pearl Davies and delivering some of funkiest tunes this side of the Irwell….
- AAAK – Out Here ….. demo track from the mighty Ding…..excellent
- Kranius – My Darkened Soul…. from the Evilution album which you can get from Bandcamp
- Whipcord – I Get Ahead In My Head My Headlines I make – alternative rock from the mighty Whipcord. They say “Doobie Brothers in Bad Brains t-shirts, whistling The Hollies on the way to a Pentagram gig, reading The Wire”. That’ll do for me.
- John Herring – Don’t Go …. a live track from John as a preview to his special gig at Sacred Trinity Church on Friday July 1st. Where he will be supported by…..
- Love Locked Out – All Her Lovers ….. and
- Quiet Rebellion – Hitcher In My Soul
- Silver Sound Explosion – Telephone Wired – the other side of the new single
- The Fall – This Perfect Day – The Marshall Suite Reissue – nice to hear this again, not so sure about the remastering though, seems a bit bass heavy.
- Positronik – Give Me Some Passion – Demo
- John Herring – City Boy – Live
- Kranius – Futures End – Evilution
To listen in click on the link below