And since the last diary entry:
- The new Tim Berne album on ECM which is rather fine indeed – typical Berne performances however this time with a modicum of modal meandering which is perhaps more in keeping with his first leader role on the famous record lable.
- A couple of new tracks from the impressive Comet Sands available here – tracks 1 and 2 are the new ones. And very fine they are as a well.
- The Christophers are offering a free download of their new single “Wisdom” here – up to their usual standard I have to say. You can see them live opening for Brooklyn based band The Static Jacks at `the Manchester Roadhouse on February 26th (sunday) from 7pm. For more info visit www.thechristophersmusic.co.uk
- Enjoying the Paper Tiger Illuminated EP on Mind on Fire – fascinating mix of styles.
- Impressed with the sound of Naked Veins from Swinton – just waiting for some tracks from the band.
- As reviewed elsewhere on the blog the new EP from The Kindest of Thieves is rather yummy.
Vis a vis this weeks Salford Music Scene show – the mix is as follows….and you can hear it here……
||Kill for Company
||Black and White
||Dread Stop Bop
||Live at Brixton Jamm
||Blue Sea Blues
||Death to the Strange
||On the Clock
||I Hope You See
||The Greatest Hits EP
||Out of Zone
||Out of Zone
||Every Word I Sing
||Better Than Life
||Words of Expectation
The south west corner of Salford gets a good airing to tonight with a lot of the tunes emanating from the Irlam and Cadishead area……
- Twinkle & Co – Temptation – Mag and Don have had their five recorded songs to date remixed and I thought it would be good to feature them all on the show as they sound rather excellent.
- Salford Media City – The Life and Death of Peter Sellers – another play for the rather marvellous psych tune from the denizens of the Islington Estate
- Twinkle & Co – Jock Tally
- Suzuki\Method – You asked for the moon and you got it – thanks to Tony T for slipping me these two new tunes from the superb Suzuki’s – and they demonstrate that the lads are going from strength to strength.
- Twinkle & Co – Meltdown
- Solar Race – My Enemy – a blast from the past
- Overeasies – Competitive Land – they seem to have lost the “The” from their name – and are being very productive at the moment. Check out their Reverbnation page.
- Suzuki\Method – Be Cruel Be Kind
- Twinkle & Co – Fever
- The Black Knights – Bad Blood – Sickle Cell Saturday Night – a class track from a class album by a class band. If you haven’t got it yet shame on you!
- Twinkle & Co – Back into the light
- Belle Vue – Amber – the single from Salford’s Math-Pop specialists.
- Aethenor – Vivarium – En Form for Blå – This is the international project of American (Stephen O’Malley), British (Daniel O’Sullivan, Steve Noble), and Norway (Kristoffer Rygg) musicians. They play at Islington Mill at the weekend.
- Twinkle & Co – Lost in Ordsall
- The Fall – Reformation – Single Version – playing at Moho Manchester on June 3rd the group have recently signed to Cherry Red Records
On this show
- The Hidden Gem – Flick of a switch – Demo – now sadly split and soon to be replaced by a new band featuring Danny and Paul from the band.
- Suzuki Method – Balthamos – EP – working in the studio as I understand it, we need them to be gigging as we are missing them
- The Inflictors – The Whip – The Inflictors – catch them at Night and Day on Saturday! Miss them at your peril
- Death to the Strange – Shades of My Mind – Demo – Salford’s masters of cool rock – they play Sounds from the Other City on May 1st (Crescent) and Mayfest on May21st (Islington Mill)
- Well North of Watford – Make Sense of Loneliness – Demo – does the Live and Unsigned Thing at The Willows soon….
- Tony Glynn – The Lennon Son – Demo – currently working on new tunes with Carl Lingard from Pearl Divers
- Kingfishers Catch Fire – The Apocalypse Song – Promo EP – in the studio soon to do new tunes…..hurrah!
- Kingfishers Catch Fire – This Ship Is Singing – Promo EP – as above
- Solar Race – Get Ahead – Homespun – the greatest Salford band you never saw in your life
- Jealous – Stardust – EP – glam rock is live and well and living in Swinton
- I Am Kloot – Salome Maloney – Promo – not sure if this is ever coming out – thanks to Tony Thornborough for getting it to me.
- Frog in the Wall – Pretty Nigella – Promo – thanks to Becs Marshall for getting this to me – they are on at Mayfest on 21st May with an acoustic set
- Ha Ha Said The Car – Plastic Windmills – Promo – aka Johann Kloos from the Sandells – I have loads more of his music and it’s all great…
- Twinkle & Co – Fever – Demo – Local talent keeps emerging and its all good….thanks to Mags for the tunes!
Salford Bands And Singers – please send me your music to email@example.com
To listen to the show…..click on the link below