Busy today but a lot of what came in was not up to scratch – the highlights of which were…..
Received a handful of tracks from Berks/Bucks band Kieland Ridge who have a good gritty sound – impressive.
Just taken delivery of the new Guile single “I Walk Alone” and very good it is too – of you sign up for their newsletter you can get it for nowt. Twangy guitars, scribbly guitars, plectrum worrying guitars and Cash-like vocalising. Also The King Blues single “Does Anybody Care About Us” made it’s way onto the dansette – not been too keen to listen to these guys because of all the hype but this is quite good.
Liverpool band Tone Puppets have been sent in our direction before – and they have new things to hear which are a good listen.
On this weeks show the emphasis is on a couple of upcoming gigs – the Salford City Radio Music Night at the Kings Arms on Thursday, and the Section 25/AAAK gig at Gullivers on Saturday…..also new band Hellbound Rebels, more from Ruby Tuesday and Long Hat Pins and another track from that new Borland release…… listen here
||Any Kind of State
||Colour, Movement, Sex & Violence
||Colour, Movement, Sex & Violence
||The Hymek Manoeuvre
||Find It Yourself
||Long Hat Pins
||Heartbeat of a Heartbreakr
||Enter Castle Perilous
||Away Dull Care
||Enter Castle Perilous
||Blood Outta Stone
On this show….
- Fall Fan Dave and the Lap Top Dancers – Juggernaut – Yelling Boil : from the stunning second album a tune that bears repeat listening.
- Veladrome – Elvis – Demo Track : A two-piece band from Manchester. Have played only one show so far, at kraak, although both seasoned musicians with plenty of gigs under their belts in different guises. Lisa – vocals and fx and Tom – bass and drum machine. Have been writing together for about 4 months and are just at the stage to start promo/gigging. Tom Wilcox moved to Manchester in 1995 whilst in The Hum of Good Machines, who became regulars on the local circuit at the time. The band pretty much imploded due to various reasons, Tom and the singer quickly formed Sleepwalker. that band lasted a few years and released a well reviewed single – Sleepwalking – before disbanding. Lisa was in Roadstar, who were another 2-piece working the local circuit. Tom and Lisa met about 3 years ago but only recently decided to give writing music together a go.
- Toska Wilde – Cindy Darling – Cindy Darling and other songs : from the latest release Toska says its all about Cindy Lloyd and her life story.
- Bill Davro – All She Requires – Bill Davro – released this year, these talented Warrington tunesmiths play The Ashley Brook on the opening night of Salford Music Festival.
- Baby Strange – My Neighbours A Killer – Demo CD : and Baby Strange will be playing along side Silver Sound Explosion and Salford Media City at The Hope on the opening night of the Salford Music Festival.
- The Mang Mang Mangs – Is It The Grouse – The Mangs are Tom and Jag and formed in 2001. Tom had previously played guitar in Sleepwalker and The Hum of Good Machines supporting the likes of Muse and being supported at the now-legendary CineCity gig by Elbow. The Mangs first live outing came at Moorfest where they played on a bill including The Fall, Haven and Mr Scruff, after which their local reputation was cemented when Mark Hart (In The City Director) championed their first demo. After that, City Life magazine became firm friends of The Mangs, and after a stint playing venues in London, indie label Fierce Panda began showing interest. Due to Jag’s procreating, The Mangs took a three-year hiatus and began tentatively sketching out a new sound two years ago. The result is the recently released and acclaimed Is It the Grouse EP. Any promoters wanting to book the band then contact them via Jag .
- The Hymek Manouevre – Find It Yourself – They say of themselves “We are a 5 piece band based in the centre of chorlton, we have been together collectively for one year. In such a short time we have strived to play our music for as many people as possible, from small gigs such as The Thirsty Scholar, to reasonably large sized crowds at beech road festival. Every member of the band works exceedingly hard at creating music, but more importantly, enjoying music as it is our joint passion. Towards the back end of last year we recorded our demo at astar studios. This was a learning curve and has given us something to promote.
Our genre of music is hard to describe as we don’t quite know ourselves, I think we convey a lot different styles very well, whilst also having our own perspective on song writing. Upbeat and happy with an indie/rock base would be the most comfortable label. Having fun and expressing ourselves is paramount to the band’s existence. Hopefully this is portrayed in our music.”
- Sandells – Glissando 2 – Demo Track – following on from last weeks airing of a first take of his epic piece of Kraut-Punk from Sandells here is another version…..slightly remixed by myself to bring Brian and Tim out a little more in the mix.
- The God Damn Electric – Morning Injection – hard playin’ and boozin’ lads from Manchester bringing the rock back into rock and roll.
- Force of Habit – Human Delusion – They say of themselves “Force Of Habit are an alternative rock band from Stockport, Manchester. We’ve built a strong local fanbase which has helped us get successful gigs at venues such as Manchester Academy and secure radio airtime on High Peak radio and Salford City Radio! The band has had numerous different bassist but our current line-up is stronger than ever and is planning on recording their EP very soon to follow up from the Demo recorded early 2011. We are currently working on new songs and reworking old ones with the intent of going out and having a blast doing gigs.”
- Veladrome – Number 5
- The Fall – Backdrop – In A Hole : classic Fall from the Australian tour in 1982 – I saw them do this track at the Band on the Wall in the May of that year and it was that version of the group at the height of their powers with immense riffing and percussion and typical Smithy lyricism. Who did put the yellow pills in the Gordon’s Gin?
To listen to the show then click the link below…..