And since the last diary entry:
- The new Tim Berne album on ECM which is rather fine indeed – typical Berne performances however this time with a modicum of modal meandering which is perhaps more in keeping with his first leader role on the famous record lable.
- A couple of new tracks from the impressive Comet Sands available here – tracks 1 and 2 are the new ones. And very fine they are as a well.
- The Christophers are offering a free download of their new single “Wisdom” here – up to their usual standard I have to say. You can see them live opening for Brooklyn based band The Static Jacks at `the Manchester Roadhouse on February 26th (sunday) from 7pm. For more info visit www.thechristophersmusic.co.uk
- Enjoying the Paper Tiger Illuminated EP on Mind on Fire – fascinating mix of styles.
- Impressed with the sound of Naked Veins from Swinton – just waiting for some tracks from the band.
- As reviewed elsewhere on the blog the new EP from The Kindest of Thieves is rather yummy.
Vis a vis this weeks Salford Music Scene show – the mix is as follows….and you can hear it here……
||Kill for Company
||Black and White
||Dread Stop Bop
||Live at Brixton Jamm
||Blue Sea Blues
||Death to the Strange
||On the Clock
||I Hope You See
||The Greatest Hits EP
||Out of Zone
||Out of Zone
||Every Word I Sing
||Better Than Life
||Words of Expectation
The usual mix of new local talent from the hinterlands of the Greater Salford area – Facebook and My Space links will take you to more information …….
A preview of the forthcoming Suzuki\Method & Helmets for Men club night plus lots of new tunes
- Suzuki Method – Purple Aki – headlining at Islington Mill this coming Friday in the first of a new club night in partnership with Helmets for Men
- The Rialto Burns – Show Me Your Colours – opening on Friday
- Working for A Nuclear Free City – Black Rivers – in the middle on Friday
- Glassheads – Double Hard Bastard – new tunes from Wigans finest
- Periscope – Burst – new tunes from the extremely productive Peri….
- Hunting Bears – Good Mood Music – are after gigs if you want to contact them – I think you should Mr Promoter!
- Long Hat Pins – Hurricane – Salford based – doesn’t gig unfortunately because he is damn good
- The Disappeared – Eight Miles Down – playing The Castle, Oldham this Friday
- The Portlands – Blue Sea Blues – played these before – they are very good – new releases in the New Year
- The Fall – Monocard – from the new album Ersazt GB – a singular piece of Fall wonderment
- Glassheads – Pressure Cooker – another one from the Wigan lads
- Periscope – Ethereal – an another one from Peri
- The Disappeared – Welcome Back – and another one from them
- Working for a Nuclear Free City – Dead Fingers Talking – and another one from them, looking forward to these on Friday
To listen to the show click on the link below…….
On this show we are celebrating the single launches for Salford’s very own record lable SWAYS – (and there is a great downloadable mix-tape on the site which is well worth a listen) – with tunes from Emperor Zero, Irk the River and The Louche FC. In between a couple of tunes from Dave Stephens brand new album “Time Will Tell”, and new music from Ryko Saints, Bare in the Woods, Shy and the Fight, and The Portlands, plus album tracks from Braids, Ducktails, and Ektoise.
And as a tearful fairwell to KIN who is off to the Netherlands a simply perfect track from the marvellous Dot Dot Dot EP.
You may wish to read more on these artists here….no time for the usual whittering from me this week as I’ve been rather busy…..
The Louche FC
Irk the River
Bare In the Woods
Shy and the Fight