This time around it’s mostly new music which has been sent in to me…..I encourage you to check these bands out they are all rather good…….and i’ve got off my backside and done some notes this time…..
You can stream the show here…
- Mr Ali Bongo keeps turning out the tunes at the Sad Row recording studio. I was particular taken with the early 60s sci-fi references on this one.
- Unsigned, just about to record their debut EP, they have done a UK tour and string of festivals and London gigs.
- As featured last week I am pretty damn impressed by this trio of teens from St Helens – I’ve been asked would it be possible to plug a gig they’re playing at the Cavern Club in Liverpool this coming Sunday. They’re playing an under 18’s showcase there. Cash, the vocalist and guitarist apparently is really chuffed as he’s a big Beatles fan.
- As Tony T said the other night the best band to come out of Chester – ever, unless you count Michael Owen and the Dodgy Knees. The new single further cements their reputation as a band of quality.
- A new album is in the offing – here is a couple of tracks from the first album by the mighty Moff.
- as above
- An acoustic collective from Manchester….they hope to make new fans and friends and start releasing EPs late this/early next year. They say they are going for a romantic, acoustic sound and are big fans of Nick Drake, Jacques Brel and Scott Walker. They have played Night and Day, Band On The Wall and most recently supported Chris Helme and Blind Atlas at Sacred Trinity Church in Salford.
- From Darlington and from their EP Fanimal…..they describe themselves as Indie Rock with a Northern Soul…..
- Quite excited about this lot – a four piece from Glasgow – reminded me of The Distractions/Go-Betweens – I threw them a curve ball by picking this song – I will be featuring them again. Highly recommended.
- A mysterious lot whose Facebook page reveals not a jot of info about their background, purpose or manifesto- though apparently they like listening to Zac Peach on SCR – the release is entitled – § – indeed …..it’s a symbol for a Section….
- From Birmingham – and again not much of a bio on Facebook but there appears to be five of them in the picture….
- Epsilon One – Monty got ahead of me by featuring this lot last night – New release from DOGS GOT A BONE RECORDS (based around an internet radio station) Spirals EP by Epsilon One is out on September 17th 2012. Self formed in 2011; ‘Epsilon One’ is a solo Lo-Fi indie project from Leith, Edinburgh. Recording mostly on a ‘tonic’ stained 8 track, ‘Epsilon One’ mix dirty pulsing bass and mellow vocals with the sounds of broken synths and a guitar line or four, and all in the tradition of the Lo-Fi Alternative.
- On 7th September 2012, Butterflies On Strings released their self-produced studio EP ‘A Boy Named Crow’ on The Kaleidoscope Label.
- As featured last week – and who went down a proverbial storm with the foul mouthed ingrates that chat with me on Facebook……
- Classic mid-period Graaf with the chap from String Driven Thing (Graham Smith) on violin – Nadir-esque rocking from PJAH and his motley band…..Hammill, Smith, Potter and Evans – a good line-up of the band.
A variety of new sounds on this show a lot of them from the Greater Salford area…….or Manchester as it is more commonly referred to…..but many more from far flung places like Coventry, Falkirk and Huddersfield……
- WU LYF – Dirt (Single) : the next big thing? I think it’s too early to tell but this single is definitely quality stuff. You will be able to see for yourself at Manchester International Festival in July.
- White Swallow – Rain (Single) – consist of Bobby Mambo- Guitar + Vox and
Sam Swallows- Drums and hail from Chorley (a fine place with some nice restaurants).More info the Brock and Roll site.
- The Strive – Down in London (Demo) – interesting band from Stretford consisting Gurmakh Singh – Guitar/Vocals, Jake Ogden – Guitar/Vocals
Thomas ‘Toast’ Barlow – Bass/Vocals, Mike Carolan – Drums.
- Beirut – East Harlem (Single) – nice to see them back and with a great tune from Zac Condon.
- The Suns – Sun Strut – Down and Out in Little Deva (Album) – the rather impressive and utterly groovy Suns who are playing at Helmets for Men in September…..and are well worth seeing.
- Zap Zap Zap – Brick Window – apparently the NME think they are good which is usually the kiss of death for me but they are actually very impressive. It would appear that they “enjoy taking influence from the potent and enigmatic things of everyday life; amplifying them to great heights of their own musical art”. Not sure that adequately covers a very polished and unique sound that encourages further listening. Very melodic and well constructed tune this.
- Bad Pollyanna – My Incubi (Single) – I like a touch of alternative rock sturm und drang once in a while and this one ticked my one working set of ossicles so I thought I would give it an airing. The album is in gestation as I understand it. Based in Huddersfield the band consists of Olivia Hyde – Vocals, Nikki Kontinen – Bass, Sam Morrow – Drums, and Peter Dawes – Guitar. Apparently the stage show is pretty impressive and looking at some of the vids on You Tube they do have an impressive look to them. Turns out Sam the drummer lives in Manchester also. If you want to contribute to the production of the album you can pay for the single otherwise its free to download. Good idea I think – something Kristin Hersh does with her Strange Angels thingy.
- Audio Asylum – Pressure (Demo) – a very impressive band from Liverpool who I’ve played before. A taster from a forthcoming ep.
- The Black Hands – 45 (Demo) – Five piece Blues Rock outfit The Black Hands are: Daniel Riley – Guitar & Vocals, Richard Moore – Guitar & Vocals, Andy Gannon – Vocals & Harmonica, Dan Bennet – Bass, Ben Atkins – Drums. Rather reminiscent of the music I was listening to when I was a young whippersnapper in loon pants and a tank top.
- The Wild Swans – Falling to Bits – The Coldest Winter for a Hundred Years (Album) – if you want any further evidence of my advancing senility then you have it in me describing the rather marvellous Wild Swans as the “White” Swans – I put this down to an over-ingestion of Doctor Joey Holts bronchial medicine. Aside from my idiocy an excellent track from a brilliant album.
- Pose Victorious – Off The Rails – Beneath the Lighthouse (EP) – e a 5 piece indie rock band from Falkirk, Scotland. Having formed in mid 2009 they quickly released their self titled debut E.P. in March 2010. Since then the band have endeavoured to introduce their sound to new ears, playing a host of gigs and down the country, this is from their new EP.
- V Thirteen – What Happened To You (Demo – Radio Edit) – V Thirteen was formed in March 2011 by Dermo (from Northside) and Matt Rynn. Work is now underway on the writing of the self recorded debut album ‘The Rest Is History’ which will be engineered, produced and mixed by Dermo and Matt. This is the first demo.
- Pint Shot Riot – Twisted Soul (Single) – from Coventry, the band were formed in 2004 under the name ‘Avenue’ – they changed their name to ‘Pint Shot Riot’ because when you enter the word ‘Pint’ into predictive text, the phone often mistakes it for ‘Shot’ or ‘Riot. The Band’s current lineup consists of two cousins Richard ‘Rocket’ Emerson (Guitar and Vocals) and Chris ‘Mini Rocket’ Connell (Drums and Backing Vocals) with Dave ‘Baby Dave’ Page (Bass) and Rob Clements (Lead Guitar & Backing Vocals).
- Esmerine– A Dog River – La Lechuza (Album)an experimental instrumental group started by Bruce Cawdron and Beckie Foon, who have contributed to other Montreal-based bands as Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Set Fire to Flames, and Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band. The music consists mainly of percussion, cello, and marimba sharing many characteristics with minimalist classical music and chamber music.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire (Demo) – very little info about these guys at this point in time but an impressive tune.
To listen click on the link below
I am joined on this show by my good friend, fellow DJ and promoter Mr Tony Thornborough who chats about the acts appearing at the stage he has put together for the excellent Sounds from the Other City Festival on Sunday May 1st. In between music from Salford bands The Wonderland Trip, Twinkle and Co and Trojan Horse and a track from Day for Airstrikes the latter two of which are also playing at the festival…….
- The Wonderland Trip – Bring Back The Sunshine – from the band
- The Inflictors – Higher and Superior – The Inflictors
- Death to the Strange – Shades of my mind – from the band
- Day for Airstrikes – Epilog the Traitor – Widows
- The Suns – Brooke Street Billy – EP
- Urchins – Lupine – from the band
- Sandbox – A million Marlborough Lights – single
- The Blimp – Mystic Sulkstress/Further Action – Curse Curse Bang Bang
- Twinkle & Co – Lost in Ordsall – from the band
- Factory Star – Black Comic Book – Enter Castle Perilous
- Trojan Horse – Ballad of the Swell Mob – Trojan Horse
To listen to the show click on the link below
- Factory Star – Angel Steps – Enter Castle Perilous – as reviewed elsewhere on this blog – an absolutely stunning album from Martin Bramah and his band of strolling minstrels. This is the opening track from the release – just listen to the poetry in the lyrics.
- Miacca – I’ve Got A Boyfriend Now – Demo – amazing stuff from Swansea’s high tempo ska specialists.
- The Jar Family – In for a penny – Livingston Session EP – another track from this fine EP from a North East collective now living down south Cambridge way.
- Bikini Test Failure – Sarah Tonin – Fleecing the Easily Pleased – another glorious track from James’ second album.
- My Pet Monster – Soundtrack – Demo – for some reason I am getting a lot of demos from South Wales – here is another band from the Cardiff area
- Vessels – Monoform – Helioscope – post rock chaps from Leeds ….. this is from the new album which was recorded in Dallas (that would be Texas)
- Moff Skellington – Following The Dead Men Home – Embers From The Rapid Eye – glorious new music from the as yet unreleased new album, which is brimming with marvellous new music, from Otley’s eccentric and amazing troubadour.
- Dubside – Child Don’t You Cry – Demo – a little bit of dub reggae from Manchester.
- Crystal Stilts – Sycamore Tree – In Love With The Oblivion – a phenomenal new album from New Yorks finest exponents of minimalist psychedelia – every track is a classic and none more so than the opener.
- The Suns – Surf’s Up Nightmare – EP – Chester’s finest proponents of garage, and surf. They play Sounds from the Other City on May 1st at the Crescent (with a C).
- Six Organs of Admittance – Brilliant Blue Sea Between Us – Asleep On The Floodplain – another album from the very productive Ben Chasny – around about number 16 (or possibly more) in the series of releases.
- Factory Star – Stone Tumbling Stream – Enter Castle Perilous – and they also play the Sounds from the other city gig on May 1st.
- Yes – Roundabout – Fragile – a guilty pleasure, I remember being gob-smacked by how different this was from the Yes Album when it came out.
You can listen to the show by following the link below….
The first of a series of one-off mixes (if that’s not an Oxymoron) featuring music that did not get onto the broadcast radio shows – a variety of recent releases from the last few months, or older stuff that has been pointed in my direction, and the occasional classic track. It’s sad but true that I do not have the time to play on the radio all the things that I would like to. To check these bands out further please follow the links…….
Oathless (free download) http://hawkmoonrecords.bandcamp.com/ (check out the other stuff on there as well! It’s all rather good)
The Suns http://www.myspace.com/00thesuns00
Slow Ride Home http://www.myspace.com/slowridehome
Tera Melos http://www.teramelosmusic.com/
Neil Young http://www.neilyoung.com/
Pyschic Ills http://psychicills.com/
Secret Garden Gathering http://www.facebook.com/SecretGardens
Tim Hecker http://www.myspace.com/rainbowbloodx
John Grant http://www.myspace.com/johnwilliamgrant
Mother Night http://www.myspace.com/mothernightnb
The Happy Fallen http://www.reverbnation.com/thehappyfallen
Listen to the show on the link below