Concluding a two part run through of the best of 2011. A very difficult show to put together as I had to leave a lot of fine music out of the mix, however due to the magic of Mixcloud there is a way around that…..
As is usual at this time of year I have chosen my “best of” and these are:
- My Band of the Year : The Blimp ; runners up Factory Star
- My Gig of the Year : The Hamsters final gig at the Crescent ; runners up Factory Star/The Blimp at FAC 251
- My New Band of the the Year : Kill for Company ; runners up – Kill Pretty
- My Session of the year : Kill Pretty on SDs Sonic Diary ; runners up – Bikini Test Failure on Aural Delights
- My Event of the year : The Helmets for Men stage at Sounds from the Other City; runners up – Mayfest at Islington Mill
- My Song of the year : Danny Short – Check For Response ; runners up – Factory Star – Angel Steps
I will be announcing my Album of the Year on tomorrow nights Aural Delights Show.
All in all a pretty spectacular year music wise and the following 15 songs I think demonstrate the strength and breadth of the local music scene (with an interloper from Margate who gets included because of his unstinting support and all round glamorous nature!)
- The Suzukis – Are You Happy With Yourself – a stunning debut album from this band from Wigan
- The Happy Fallen – The Wheel – Neal James continues to deliver great music from the depths of Crumpsall
- Periscope – Sleeping With Ghosts – Martin Swinney the most prolific man in Manchester – album soon I hope.
- Toby Jughead and His Merry Drones – Media City Ditty – swathed in mystery, superglue and ceramic delight – the abiding question of 2011 is who is Toby J? Limits Maid Found Corsets.
- Salford Media City – The Life and Death of Peter Sellers – More please next year Mr Jackson.
- Silver Sound Explosion – Sidekicks – an amazing trio delivering great tunes – featuring the omnipresent C Dutton esquire.
- Whipcord – Dread Stop Bop – stunning album, great tune.
- Fall Fan Dave and the Lap Top Dancers – Costa Del Fridge – from the second album – Yelling Boil – a true iconoclast.
- Toska Wilde – I Am Your Temptation – Margate via Salford for the nail polish guru.
- Danny Short – Check For Response – from the second of two great albums from the bard of Horwich. The single most wonderful piece of music I have heard this year.
- Electric Wood – A Tragic Satire – Kearsley’s finest….
- Taser Puppets – Dim – the magnificent Puppets with a piece of pop class…
- Kill Pretty – Babes in the Wood – from the Hamsters they came breathing fire – a phoenix rising – featuring two fifths of Dragnet, 2 Duttons and a Moey…..who could ask for anything more
- The Blimp – Fake Tan – the best live band in the area at the moment – anchored by a memorable rhythm section and lead by a genuine certified genius, Word- Art!
- The Fall – Fiery Jack – and to conclude, as I usually do, a bit of magic from the heart of post-punk
This selection of tunes proved to be best of the local material for the year and were broadcast on Salford City Radio.
However there were a number of bands I could not leave out so I put together a mix of my other favourites which was as follows:
- Trojan Horse – Disciplining The Reserve Army
- Irk The River – One Year Performance
- Phil Davies the Ninja Smoke Bombs – Fixed Penalty Points
- The Vanity Project – Structure of an Atom
- The Mang Mang Mangs – Is it the Grouse?
- The Black Lights – In the Dark
- Emperor Zero – Mental Health Café
- Kit B – Fear of Flying
- Girl Peculiar – Destiny
- Stalagmites – Supply and Demand
- Death to the Strange – Shades of my mind
- Positronik – When The Bitch Knows Your Name
- The Hired Help – Perfect Society
- Neuron No – Saving the World
- Mi Amo Simmy – Up With This I Will Not Put
- Mandrake – Last Orders
- Well North of Watford – Make Sense of Loneliness
- Twinkle & Co – Jock Tally
- Syd Bozko – Come Get Me
- Urchins – Cabin Fever
- Wonderland Trip – Bring Back The Sunshine
- Ha Ha Said The Car – Storm Petal Suzie
- Open Party – Inertia
- Warm Widow – Back the Class
- TG Elias – Southbound Otley Highway
- The Louche FC – Four Parts Bastard
- Veladrome – Elvis
- Early Mojo – Balloon Basket
- Ghost Outfit – Boy
- Belle Vue – Platform One
- Skankadelia – Distinct Lack of Secrecy